construction yet though

fished burton one morning -3 browns to 3.5 lbs
    fished calderwood one morning -3 small rainbows
    been hitting notteley for stripers- we have caught 9 to 17 lbs
    off to burton thurs am

good fishn

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

It sounds like the state is trying to run all the fishermen off of Apalachia! Or, is it TVA...? It sounds like the state should reopen the ramp down near the dam. I'd be fairly perturbed if I drove to Apalachia and there was no open ramp. I could of very well done that if the weather hadn't been so foul. I wanted to fish for Browns at Apalachia and/or Calderwood back in February.

Apalachia is off my list indefinitely. The ramp was supposed to be done by 4 July last summer and it's not even started....

I plan to be in that area for at least a week every year. We fish Apalachia every morning for Trout and hiwassie or notteley in the evening for stripers.

Fortunately, i got the heads up on the ramp a month before the trip. I had already rented a house months before so I just changed strategies and fished Burton (45 min away) once and Calderwood (1.5 hours away) once and concentrated on Lake hiwassie for stripers. We caught 14 up to 17 lbs. in a week.

If i had known sooner, I'd have stayed in robbinsville to fish santeelah, cheoah, calderwood and fontana. --or over by Watuga

Oh well, 8 days in the mountains with no rain was spectacular. 20's early in the am, 55 ish by 2pm.

good fishing--
    ri rory

off to maine 1st week of june for Brookies and Landlocks and northern NH in july for all trout species and landlocks
    (my 18 mo old grandson lives just north of Boston)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I didnt know Hiwassie had stripers anymore. Did they start stocking them again? I may have to give them a try this summer when I get up there. Is there no other access at all to Apalachia? I was really hoping to fish that this year. Every year I say I am going to, but I never get over that way.

yes
    stocking stripers for 4-5 years
    we caught quite a few--biggest 17 lbs--average was 8-9

definitely worth the trip--in the summer, i'd check points with my sonar til i found fish then downline live baits or drop jigs with soft plastics

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by RI RORYL View Post
    yes
    stocking stripers for 4-5 years
    we caught quite a few--biggest 17 lbs--average was 8-9

definitely worth the trip--in the summer, i'd check points with my sonar til i found fish then downline live baits or drop jigs with soft plastics

good luck
    Okay wow, I totally missed where they started stocking that again. This is awesome news because I have only caught small ones in Chesapeake Bay back in my 20's. I definitely will take your advise and I will probably try pulling some deep divers like a stretch 30 that I use for Kings here in Florida too. I bet that will lure in a big one. What about near the Dam? Do they hang in the deep water there at all? I will be there the first 2 weeks of June. Guess I better start researching Strippers more....err I mean Stripers, yeah, that's what I meant... lol

For 1 day, hire big ol fish guide service--he fishes 400 trips a year (hiwassie, notteley, blueridge, burton, chatuge) and is a phenom for a relatively young man. Shane will teach you how and where the stripers are at at that time.--best $$$ you will ever spend. Then copy what he does. tell him Coach sent you

good fishin

Any update on Apalachia access? There has got to be some way to launch there. I will have a 16' Jon boat. Also have access to a 12' canoe if launching a trailered boat isn't a option

there is not--- while the construction is going on. the banks closest to the dam are very steep and from the equipment i saw when i was there last---not even a canoe, as they were blocking the entrance to ramp are with a loader.

i would guess they'll finish by july 1

Is there anywhere I can keep up with the progress of the ramp? I cant seem to find anything. I will be there in a few days for the first 2 weeks of June and I was really hoping to fish this lake.

do not plan on it. i spoke with the crew in march--they were shooting for july 1st but planning by sept 1st for sure as a load of work was needed to be done around the rain and releases.

if you are after trout--santeelah is not that far away--stripers and bass are doing great on hiwassie

you can try calling biologist powell wheeler

good luck

coach
    bfishy likes this.

Last year the new ramp was supposed to be ready for 4 July. I literally started this same topic last year and that was the prediction.

Ramp is open. Has been for about 2 months according to everyone I spoke too. Real nice and not hard to launch. I fished it last Thursday. No trout but I did catch a nice SM bass. Was also told that starting August 1st, there will be new trophy trout water rules for the lake.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12