New ramp at lake appalachia coming soon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New ramp at lake appalachia coming soon

Default New ramp at lake appalachia coming soon

breaking news---- from nc fish and game

the ramp is slated to be rebuilt beginning march 1st and may take a while to complete.

no completion target date was given

good news to those of us that love this gem in western nc.,-- bad news for me as i am spending the week of 3/16-24th in blairsville planning to buy bluebacks at hugh's and fish that lake every day as we do every spring for last 6 years-----not this year-----rats

now, as far as my vacation goes--stripers in nottely, everything in hiwassee, 45 min away big brown trout in lake burton, trout and walleye in rabun and seed---maybe even a day trip to calderwood or cheoah--about 70 miles away
    decisions, decisions---

any suggestions--i am listening to the experts---help

good fishin'

ri rory

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks for the ramp notification! It was supposedly gonna be done by 4 July, last summer. Information about it has been nil for many months. All this high water can't bode well for building a ramp where it's located. I wish they'd rework the ramp down by the dam. I have my eyes on a trip to Apalachia soon, weather permitting.

Selfishly, i hope they get put off a couple weeks so i can use it---but if they get on it on 3/1, then it'll be done soon enough.It is my favorite lake outside the northeast. My family loves it there in March. The last 3 years i have rented a house on the water, down by the dam.Thank God I rented one in Blairsville this March. We catch some nice trout in Burton as well so we have options.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Are you all talking about the current ramp at the Hiwassee dam?

yes
    thats the one
    right below the dam

the only launch on the lake☹️☹️
    gambusia likes this.

The WRC did approve the proposed trophy trout limits for Appalachia.

How does the trout fishing on Burton compare with Appalachia?

What's the new limit on Trout at Apalachia?

3 trout, only one over 14 inches

Trout fishing on Burton can be phenomenal and brutally frustrating. In the spring they are everywhere and can be hard to find. i have had success around the inlets for rainbows my biggest is 4 lbs) and the browns are chasing bluebacks--where ever they are--i generally start by the hatchery in mocassin cove, troll out to the main lake then motor to dam and troll the deep river channel back toward ramp. (My biggest brown is around 7, caught in july) In the summer, the trout are over the old river channel and by the dam

i'll fish it a couple times week of 3/16-24. We got a big spot (7) and a big walleye(7.5) -2 springs ago--same day on a spoon down 20' in front of dicks creek

good luck

i have never caught a trout under 14'' in Apalachia---ever and we have caught hundreds.

lol

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    3 trout, only one over 14 inches
    That's a silly limit. It would make more sense if it was 3 Trout but only one can be over 20" .

I won't be having a go at Apalachia as long as they're releasing 9000+ CFPS from Hiwassee Dam, which they're doing day after day, all day and all night long. This rainy period that dates back about 10 months has been a bummer.

I'll be up there saturday so i'll have a look. i have launched and retrieved in that current many times and it is always an adventure.

It was easier with the smaller 16' boat, now I have a relatively new WIDE Lowe 18' deep vee and it is challenging. I may go Sun am and i'll post the results. I won't take too much risk but it is my favorite lake so I'll be careful.

good fishin!!!

ri rory

On my only trip, the generators were off when I launched. When I quit is was about 3500 CFPS and I did OK getting the boat on the trailer, by myself. When I backed in the trailer, I had to get out of my truck about 5-10 times to walk back and see where I was going on that twisted, infernal ramp. Next time I go it will be easier because my brother will be along.

I can't fathom that much work is being done on the new ramp with this high water...??? Good luck with the 9000+ CFPS flow at the ramp!

I have done it quite a few times--for me backing down is a piece of cake but getting the boat off without it getting caught in the current is the adventure. i make sure that i back in on an angle to the left an only back in just enuff where i gotta push her off the trailer. i have a safety line attached to the cleat on the concrete barrier and as the boat comes off , my wife pulls the truck away and i pull boat up on launch by hand ( why keel shields are made)

to retrieve, I pull in to far left by the big boulder. i back trailer down angled to the left, just in a little ways. I hook up winch strap and have the wife back up 2/3 feet and i crank up a little and repeat the process.

like i said, if you go slow and deliberate, you only pucker a little. LOL

hopefully i can use the ramp daily as we will fish it each am and hit notteley or hiwassie or burton, or seed, or rabun,....in the evening from the 16th-24th

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast