New Boat Owner...bought boat...what next?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Boat Owner...bought boat...what next?

Default New Boat Owner...bought boat...what next?

Hello Everyone! So I finally decided on a boat (Robalo 206S) and will pick it up sometime soon. This will be my first boat, so I would appreciate a little advice. Here are a few of the questions I have.
    Should I get insurance? I assume I should, so if so, what insurance company do you recommend?

I plan to get a trolling motor and sonar...any recommendations on when and what I should get? I know there's a ton of options here. Plan to do mostly bass fishing with the occasional ICW trip. I was looking at the riptide 80lb 60" ipilot with a hummingbird electronics. Should I get this all installed by the dealer? (my closest dealer is 1.5 hours away). I just don't want to void my warranty...not sure how all of this works.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am not new to boating...been on boats my whole life...just tired of renting. But this is the first boat I have fully owned so should be a fun experience!

Thanks again!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would talk with who you have your car/home insurance with. They typically cover boats. The trolling motor and electronics are fine. I would let the dealer install them. They have the most experience. I would see if I could get a discount if you are going to purchase that and have it installed. The most important thing I can tell you from past experience is to download the pure gas app and only use ethanol free gas. Your wallet will thank you later.

Ask your dealer to do an on-the-water demo with you, first to make sure everything is working on delivery and second to answer any questions you may have—or will have—about the boat’s operating systems.
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would say a dealer install would be worth it at this point, plus you can add those accessories to the total price and financing if necessary to avoid a few thousand dollar purchase on top of what you just spent on the boat and all the other little things you end up buying for your new boat. You will also be ready to go the day you pick it up and not have to worry about hauling back to the dealer, letting it sit there til the get to it and hauling it back home. I would definitely insure, boats aren't cheap and accidents can happen.
    meenyt likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilslure View Post
    I would say a dealer install would be worth it at this point, plus you can add those accessories to the total price and financing if necessary to avoid a few thousand dollar purchase on top of what you just spent on the boat and all the other little things you end up buying for your new boat. You will also be ready to go the day you pick it up and not have to worry about hauling back to the dealer, letting it sit there til the get to it and hauling it back home. I would definitely insure, boats aren't cheap and accidents can happen.
    That's a good point. Few more questions, if bought out of state, will the dealer send the registration in for me or will I need to file it all? I bought it from a dealer in Virginia.
    Also, anyone have any recommendations on electronics? I assume hummingbird is one of the best...which model do you recommend?

Thanks again

Garmin, Lowrance, Furuno are all very good products, too. You can spend anywhere from $300 and on up to really big bucks on high-end electronics. I would suggest you think about what features you want and start out looking at the mid-range models...shop wisely and you will find some real savings on sale items.

For a high end product installation I absolutely recommend you get your dealer to do it!

Also think about installing a plain old fashioned compass on the boat as a back-up to your electronics and GPS...Ritchie makes some great products for under $100.

Congrats - I looked at photos and those look like super nice boats!

My insurance is through the same as our auto insurance (Allstate). I don't know if it is the best out there, but I like keeping it simple by having everything together like that.

I would recommend having dealer install that stuff. I am a DIY normally but drilling holes, running wires, etc etc would be too nerve racking for me on a new boat. Go with experience on that stuff. Hopefully its common sense to the dealer but make sure they mount the trolling motor so that when stowed it is angled away from the front deck like in a bass boat. I have seen photos of other people's salt water boats like this where the stowed trolling motor sticks straight out over the deck. At the very least a tripping hazard, but overall seems like an unnecessary waste of space. Also if you are still able to make requests, make sure you get an onboard charger. It is easy to deal with plus it is more sophisticated about trickle charging/shutting off when done and etc. I had the dealer put that on too, and I assumed it would be connected to all the batteries - but they did it with just the trolling motor batteries and not the cranking battery. They said the motor keeps the cranking battery charged but I have no idea how far to trust that (my old boat's motor was a pull start not needing a battery). So I do put a battery trickle charger on it every now and then to play it safe.

I don't think you can go wrong with most major brands of electronics. I have a basic Lowrance Hook 7 unit. I like it, but I would really like to have a Navionics card (will get around to it someday), and I sometimes wish I got side imaging. It should go without saying but make sure whatever you get has GPS and at least basic maps that records your tracks (very useful all the time but especially inshore/ICW). I also have a compass and marine VHF radio - the radio is not used much bass fishing (I just use it to listen to the weather when inland), but at the coast it seems like a must to me, have it tuned to Coast guard and monitor the weather.

Those are some of the major things - most everything else are kind of personal preference things that you will figure out after using it the way you are going to use it. For example I want to get more rod holders, a 2nd sonar up front, a foot control for the minn kota (instead of relying on hand remote all the time). Also, make sure you get the basic things you take for granted - ropes, anchor/chain, even a spare tire for the trailer.

Learn as much as you can about boat insurance, especially the meaning of agreed value vs actual cash value. Here's a good primer: https://www.chubb.com/us-en/individu...insurance.aspx. Know what you want covered, values, etc. and whether you want agreed value or acv coverage. Tow coverage sounds nice but you must pay tow service first, then go to the insurance company for reimbursement. I could go on, but it's just too much to cover here. As others have said, contact your homeowner or auto policy provider first and get them to explain everything and give you a quote. Then, you'll be in a good position to shop around.

Might want to check the size of the anchor locker. The anchor storage on my friend's Robalo was very small and wouldn't hold after market anchors. He went with the custom anchor Robalo sells.

Get the dealer to install everything for all the reasons already posted.
    LIVIT likes this.

Jay makes a few good points. I would suggest an onboard charger to handle the cranking battery in addition to the trolling batteries. Typically a cranking battery runs everything but your trolling motor. If you are going to run 10 minutes, drop the anchor and run electronics, stereo, livewell pumps and sit for a few hours and run back 10 minutes that will draw more power than you put back with just the motor... do that a few trips and you will go to crank up to go home and not be able to start the motor.

He also mentioned the trailer. Be sure you have a jack and wrench that can handle changing a flat tire on your trailer. On my trailer, you also need a different size wrench to get the spare tire off the mount. Little quick trick with a tandem trailer is you can just drive the good tire up on a block of wood and it will lift the other tire enough to get it off the ground.
    JeremyG, and meenyt like this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Nice boat ! You have gotten some great suggestions. MinnKota and Hummingbird are a great combo. I have same on my CC. They can be blue toothed together and if you want to set a trolling course, you can save it and have trolling motor backtrack it. When bass fishing you can set it too a distance from shore or a set depth too follow. The GPS on my Hummingbird G2 w/chirp etc... is better than the GPS on my Garmin FF. I like the capability to download lake or ICW charts on SD cards. You can also make your own of any body of water. When it comes to electronics, I have learned to spend as much as you can afford, you will not regret it later. Get a VHF radio, even if its just a hand held.
    My boat dealer and mechanic, told me it is better to keep your trolling motor batts separate from your cranking batts. Said that haven your OB alt trying to keep a trolling batt charged up, is hard on it. I have seen a lot of mistakes made when it comes to onboard chargers. Most modern deep cycle batts are AGM, they are designed to be fast charged and will go bad if left on a continuous batt maintainer trickle. MinnKota makes a great onboard for deep cycle batts. I personally would go with 2 onboard chargers, if you can manage it.

As for registration ask the dealer specifically as to what he will do, especially about sales tax! Get an itemized bill of sale showing separate prices of the trailer, DOT requirement, the boat and the motor, county tax office wanted this, at least Polk county did, they tax them at a different rate. Make sure you find out what the dealer does about sales tax, NC will require 3% of total price. I had to send a copy of the BOS to the N.C. tax office, they gave me credit for the out of state taxes, I had to pay the difference. Registration is easy, just go to the boating page of the NCWRC web site and follow the instructions, they are highlighted in bold Red lettering. Do all of this straight off, don’t let them catch you, it’s a real PITA.
    OK so you think you are smarter than a fish, let me see you prove it!

I bough my boat in Tennessee. ENSURE YOU GET AN ITEMIZED RECEIPT. If i remember correctly you only pay the “use tax” or “road tax” on the trailer as that is what is literally “on the road.” The use tax is what can get crazy and the trailer is only a fraction of the purchase compared to the boat price. I had to nag my dealer in Tennessee to send me an itemized receipt because without it the DMV will make you pay the “Road Tax” on the entire purchase. Otherwise just have all other paperwork when going to the DMV and you will be good to go. My dealer gave me the titles for boat, motor, and trailer. I only had to turn over the trailer and boat titles and kept the motor title. I dont think you register and pay any taxes on the motor in NC. Just a road tax on the trailer and a sales tax on the boat. Ensure on the itamized receipts it shows the boat sale price and trailer sale price so you dont over pay in tax. Also make sure the motor sale price is shown as well. Since you dont pay taxes or register the motor you dont want the motor price rolled into the boat price otherwise you will be paying extra in taxes for no reason.

Should have added this for clarification but here is what I payed taxes wise:

Boat: sales tax and registration
    Trailer: highway use tax and trailer registration
    Motor: no sales tax or use tax

I had a DMV that was able to do everything as they had a fish and game/wildlife office to deal with boat itself. DMV deals with trailer registration.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDrb View Post
    I bough my boat in Tennessee. ENSURE YOU GET AN ITEMIZED RECEIPT. If i remember correctly you only pay the “use tax” or “road tax” on the trailer as that is what is literally “on the road.” The use tax is what can get crazy and the trailer is only a fraction of the purchase compared to the boat price. I had to nag my dealer in Tennessee to send me an itemized receipt because without it the DMV will make you pay the “Road Tax” on the entire purchase. Otherwise just have all other paperwork when going to the DMV and you will be good to go. My dealer gave me the titles for boat, motor, and trailer. I only had to turn over the trailer and boat titles and kept the motor title. I dont think you register and pay any taxes on the motor in NC. Just a road tax on the trailer and a sales tax on the boat. Ensure on the itamized receipts it shows the boat sale price and trailer sale price so you dont over pay in tax. Also make sure the motor sale price is shown as well. Since you dont pay taxes or register the motor you dont want the motor price rolled into the boat price otherwise you will be paying extra in taxes for no reason.
    In some counties, you have to list the boat hull and the motor as ‘personal property’ for county tax purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris52 View Post
    In some counties, you have to list the boat hull and the motor as ‘personal property’ for county tax purposes.
    Wow that's confusing. I'll make sure I get an itemized breakdown from dealer. thanks for that advice.
    Any other thoughts?

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast