NC Angler Forums banner

When do Catfish start hitting Jugs in the Piedmont?

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  DeerJerky 
#1 ·
My son is bugging me to take him Jug Fishing for Catfish in either Norman or High Rock. We have done pretty well in the Summer but have no clue as to when they start hitting after Winter winds down. When do you guys start putting out jugs in this area.
Thanks,
dj

#2 ·
Catfish don’t have a season for eating. They will hit jugs year round. Summer is the go-to “season” bc that’s when they’re typically easiest found and the weather is most agreeable. Like all other fish, you just gotta tune your approach to target them where they are at that time of year. In the summer they’re usually cruising big flats near the main channels and pretty easy to find. Learn their seasonal patterns and habits and you’ll understand what to do to target them. May require a longer or shorter line or changing baits or areas, but it’s very possible to do year round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
yeah i was setting out bak poles this year n late january and having sucess fish eat year round the bite fishign rod and reel is slow for other species of cats besides blue cats but they will eventually hit your trotlines/jugs/ban poles if you set them over night

#4 ·
Jug fishing stay away from badin lake!! Game warden last year was going after them left and right!! For not having your information on it leaving jug sitting overnight and and jugs were not visible to boat drivers!! Flotters has to be visible for boat drivers, so they will not be hit and string on floaters will not damage the props of boats

#5 ·
I pulled into a cut at Jordan Lake Sunday where a guy had just finished dropping about 20 jugs and he motored off. I was in there maybe 15 or 20 minutes and by the time I left that cut 7 or 8 of his jugs had fish on them.

#7 ·
Just like everything, some people give others bad reputations. Jugs should be bright colored, reflectored, and monitored. I will drop them while rod fishing an adjacent point or hump, but I never drop more than I can monitor and never leave them longer than 30 min without a look. People who leave overnight are peckerheads and have minimal ethics at best. It is not about time left out or numbers... if you put 5 in the right spot, you can have 5 fish on. Circle hooks are great. Mine will have depth, reflector, circle hook, twine, and my ID... guaranteed. If you focus more on effectively placing them, you will need very few to get some meat and you wont be the jerkface who kills fish they dont find and jacks up other peoples props.
Yes, they can work effectively most of they year.... and yes if you leave yours out without monitoring, I have no problem getting it off the line for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.