Which BG Reel for 7" Rod

Thread: Which BG Reel for 7" Rod

Default Which BG Reel for 7" Rod

I need a new reel fo a 7' spinning rod I use in the surf.

I am looking at the Diawa BG and deciding between the 3000, 3500, or 4000.

Any advice.

I already have a 9', 11', and 12' surf rods. This rod is mainly plugs and jigs.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have the 3000 and use it for fishing from pier. For jigs or plugs I wouldn’t go bigger than 3000. Though if you are going to be chucking some bottom rigs beyond the breakers going up a size shouldn’t hurt. I loooove the BG. Bought a 1500 for trout fishing and I love it so much I’m going to use it for fresh water. You can’t go wrong with any of those sizes.

Daiwa's usually run a little larger than comparably numbered Shimano or other reels. If you'll primarily be fishing artificials, I'd agree that a 3000 if probably the right answer. I can't remember whether the 3500 is a 3000 with a bigger spool or a 4000 with a smaller spool??? Anyone know?

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'd probably go with the 3000. I'm sure you've looked at the differences in the reels but if I'm throwing plugs a lot then I go towards the lighter reel. The 3000 is a little over 3 ounces lighter then the 3500 and after awhile of launching, that adds up.

I appreciate this thread. Do you all think a BG 2500 series is good for bass fishing? Rod will be a 6'6" Medium Heavy action Ugly Stick Elite.
    - Josh

I think you'll be pretty happy with the BG 2500 for bass fishing as a general all around reel. The hard core bass masters will tell you that baitcasters are superior for all day crankbait fishing, burning spinnerbaits/buzzbaits and precision casting. Hard to argue that when just about every bass pro uses them for about 90 percent of their work. I'm a rank amateur when it comes to the bass game, but I prefer a spinner for walk the dog style topwaters, sluggo type baits, weightless senkos / worms, skipping baits under docks and for drop shotting--but that might be just a reflection of my lack of skill with a baitcaster. The BG is an excellent value.

I have a 3000 size BG spooled with 20# braid with a mono leader that i have been extremely happy with. I use it for both bass and in the surf (on different rods) and it does well at both. For exclusively bass fishing the 3000 is probably a little overkill (11oz w/ 15# of drag), but I’m far from an expert.

If you do go with this reel the video below is very helpful for disassembly, reassembly, and lubing. Just went through an exercise of de-sanding mine. Stepped on a hidden void in the beach (sand washed out under the jetty, foot crashed thorough and got wedged in the rocks) two weeks ago and shoved the reel deep in the sand as I caught myself.
    https://youtu.be/qSm551v_gBc
    geneinnc, and JRHorne like this.

I would go with the 40 size. Then your good to pile on the weight in rough serf.

I put 20lb braid on my 40 size Abu and I just change the leader to match the lure.

I can fish the lightest to the heaviest bass lures that way.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements