Sound Kitty Hawk Bay?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitty Hawk Bay?

Default Kitty Hawk Bay?

In May I'll be right next to Kitty Hawk Bay, on the East edge of Albemarle Sound, with my 'yak & gear.

Any advice on what to fish for, what to expect in that water?

Would it make sense to paddle out into Albemarle Sound, upwind/up current a while, and drift back with some shrimp (or other bait?) trolling slowly behind?

Or would it make more sense to paddle back among the islands there and fish the channels between?

I'm new to these waters and kayak fishing, so any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Steve
    roostertail24 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just a quick look over on google maps and I would probably buy some soft plastic paddletails and 3/8th oz jigheads and work the lure all around and in the creeks of this marsh. If nothing happens around there I might drive closer to Oregon Inlet and put in somewhere around there. Probably a little saltier water closer to the inlet. Do a YouTube search for Southern Reels Oregon Inlet. He does well on the Flounder in that area. Keep in mind that can definitely be a hazardous area to fish tho. Current, boat traffic, and wind. As far as your drifting with live shrimp you might pick up some fish but my guess is you will feed the pinfish and small croakers all your bait in short order. Good luck. Hope you do well.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Dr Steve likes this.

Theres some good fishing in Kitty Hawk Bay. I've caught trout, puppy drum, flounder and stripers there.
    Dr Steve likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Some parts of that bay require a freshwater license. We stayed there one summer and there were freshwater fish around the dock, along with crabs.
    Dr Steve, and roostertail24 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by philjam View Post
    Some parts of that bay require a freshwater license. We stayed there one summer and there were freshwater fish around the dock, along with crabs.
    In the 1970s the bassmaster classic was held a little north of there.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by philjam View Post
    That was my thought... I thought it was freshwater.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

North of the Highway 158 bridge it is Currituck Sound, which can be mainly fresh water. Kitty Hawk Bay is about 4 miles south of that bridge. Year to year it really depends on the amount of rain, but you don’t have to go far between catching large mouth bass in one spot and then flounder a few miles south.
    Dr Steve, and roostertail24 like this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

I mentioned catching drum, trout, flounder and striper there. On the same trip I caught the trout I also caught a cat fish in my cast net on the dock the same day. The water is brackish and as noted above, can be fresher or saltier depending on the rainfall.
    Dr Steve likes this.

Depending on the time of year the grass can be real bad around those islands. Makes it hard to get through there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dr Steve likes this.

Great info, thanks!

Around Oregon Inlet, would a small "mushroom" anchor do any good, or is the bottom so sandy and the currents/tides so strong it would be useless?

Actually the water the last two years has been sweet, lots of bass, fantastic run of white perch last year with the addition of catfish and ring tail perch. Tasted the water tonight and still very sweet. With all the rain I am not sure we will see many saltwater species this far north this year either as we are not tidal.

A stake out stick for the shallows and a small Danforth for deeper spots. Oregon inlet current is absolutely no joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
    Great info, thanks!

Around Oregon Inlet, would a small "mushroom" anchor do any good, or is the bottom so sandy and the currents/tides so strong it would be useless?
    On a kayak, Oregon Inlet is not a good idea. Stay far away from that current and waves. I would not be within a mile or two of that. Put in at the bodie Island Light house, or down hatteras way.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

If you go to Hatteras there are a couple of launch options. You can launch from Teach’s Lair Marina and then have a short paddle to a very large grass flats behind the Coast Guard station. OR, if you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, there is a sand road which runs along the fence immediately behind the CG station which leads to an open sandy beach and you are right there at the flats. I was there about 2 months ago, and those flats have filled in and are now very shallow, but you can paddle right up to the edge of the ferry channel and could have a shot at some nice drum.

The caution about the current at Oregon Inlet should be taken very seriously—-stay away from the inlet area. The Bodie Island lighthouse paddle is a way better choice.

The new Oregon Inlet bridge is open now, and they are supposed to convert part of the old bridge to a fishing pier—so you might want to check that out. There has always been a catwalk at the south end of the old bridge...now that construction is over there may be open access there now.

There is a new kayak launch and parking area on Ocracoke Island. When you get off the Hatteras Ferry it is just a few miles down Highway 12 on the right. Brand new shell-covered parking lot, no 4-wheel drive or off road permit needed. Launch there and you will be in the sound.

Be sure to report back!!!
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Update on how it went in Kitty Hawk Bay around May 14 -

No fish were harmed... Didn't have to mess with unhooking any... Skunked.

Did have a bit of adventure with the trolling motor. Worked great, wife and I got from Covington canals out and around the point, tried out the shallows in the grassy islands. Used double-jigs with soft-tails recommended by local tackle shop as productive in the sound, but nothin'.

We decided to leave as clouds gathered, and as we approached the shore well East of the point, the trolling motor battery began to peter out. Waves were getting higher, wind from all directions as two little fronts started to meet right over us. We started paddling like hell!

Nice local resident, an experienced kayaker, saw what was going on, waved us into a good spot to put ashore, helped get the 'yak up the hill, and gave us a lift to where we stayed.

Going back to the same area tomorrow, staying on the beach, plan to try the Sound again, putting it at Bodie Island. If the Wife comes along, we now have an extra battery for the trolling motor (and if she doesn't, I'll just paddle).

Any recommendations on baits or rigs for the sound near Bodie Island Lighthouse?

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast