Kayak BTB Surf City Area - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayak BTB Surf City Area

I am ready to start marking up my calendar - pretty much from May on through Fall. TI is my preference, weekend days easier but some week days workable. How about May 11th? Could possibly do the 5th, but won't know for sure until this weekend.
    -Andy

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sorry, guys
    Just now catching up on emails and text
    I’m at Atlantic beach today thru Thursday
    The water looks ok - a little dirt this am
    Hopefully better by tomorrow or Wednesday
    Wave height is great tho

Anyone down to go this weekend? 4/27-4/29? Conditions are looking pretty good throughout. Opti: I will be working the weekend of the 11th. It have the following weekend and the Monday and Tuesday of Memorial Weekend.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wademo View Post
    Anyone down to go this weekend? 4/27-4/29? Conditions are looking pretty good throughout. Opti: I will be working the weekend of the 11th. It have the following weekend and the Monday and Tuesday of Memorial Weekend.
    The weekend of the 18th should be good. I am doing something of a shakedown paddle tomorrow. Just local freshwater but making sure the shoulder is in fine shape. I am not too worried; I have been doing great at the gym and when I saw the doc a few weeks back he said I would be good to go this weekend. I had been planning to go to Wrightsville and paddle at a demo day yesterday until the weather got spooky.

BTW, I don't know if you saw any of my previous posts on it or not, but I am actually going to be paddling a SUP; a 14' Naish Glide designed for open ocean cruising. I made sure I was comfortable with paddling it out to sea around New Year's in FL, just before I had my shoulder scoped.

As crazy as it may sound if you don't paddle one, I think I will actually feel safer on a board, or at least on this board. I don't plan on paddling "the open ocean in any condition", but it's nice to know it is designed to. They don't show in the picture, but there are actually tie points up front and I can carry a lot of gear. I made a custom low profile crate from a commercial dishwasher rack. I will look like a kayaker some of the time as I will carry something to sit on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	offtosea.jpg‎
Views:	134
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	194137 Click image for larger version.

Name:	glidespecs.jpg‎
Views:	137
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	194139
    -Andy

I paddled almost four and a half miles yesterday, a lot of it into the teeth of a pretty strong wind on Jordan. I could have done more but didn't push it. Paddling 6 or 8 for a day of BTB fishing won't be a problem. I did a literally dry run of rigging for fishing and I am satisfied with my set up. I am ready to roll...

EDIT - If anyone is up for a day of BTB the next couple of weekends, I may be able to swing it. Planning on the weekend of the 18th; which day may be weather dependent.
    -Andy

Next Saturday (11th) and/or either day the following weekend (18th/19th) looks good for me, weather dependent. TI is strong preference.
    -Andy

Went BTB today out to the reef at Oak Island. Went with a good kayak crew that paddles it often; I didn't realize you can get there almost as quickly as TI. I think I will be going back there a lot this year. I only got a couple of blues, but saw a nice Spanis landed and there were a couple of really big fish lost.
    -Andy

Very cool Andy. Be careful those blues don't bite your toes off on that paddleboard.
    OptiMystic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    Very cool Andy. Be careful those blues don't bite your toes off on that paddleboard.
    Kind of like noodling catfish.

Coolest thing I saw today was the huge turtles surfacing and snorting within a few feet of me.
    EvBlue likes this.

-Andy

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12