Kayak BTB Surf City Area - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kayak BTB Surf City Area

I am ready to start marking up my calendar - pretty much from May on through Fall. TI is my preference, weekend days easier but some week days workable. How about May 11th? Could possibly do the 5th, but won't know for sure until this weekend.
    -Andy

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Sorry, guys
    Just now catching up on emails and text
    I’m at Atlantic beach today thru Thursday
    The water looks ok - a little dirt this am
    Hopefully better by tomorrow or Wednesday
    Wave height is great tho

Anyone down to go this weekend? 4/27-4/29? Conditions are looking pretty good throughout. Opti: I will be working the weekend of the 11th. It have the following weekend and the Monday and Tuesday of Memorial Weekend.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Wademo View Post
    Anyone down to go this weekend? 4/27-4/29? Conditions are looking pretty good throughout. Opti: I will be working the weekend of the 11th. It have the following weekend and the Monday and Tuesday of Memorial Weekend.
    The weekend of the 18th should be good. I am doing something of a shakedown paddle tomorrow. Just local freshwater but making sure the shoulder is in fine shape. I am not too worried; I have been doing great at the gym and when I saw the doc a few weeks back he said I would be good to go this weekend. I had been planning to go to Wrightsville and paddle at a demo day yesterday until the weather got spooky.

BTW, I don't know if you saw any of my previous posts on it or not, but I am actually going to be paddling a SUP; a 14' Naish Glide designed for open ocean cruising. I made sure I was comfortable with paddling it out to sea around New Year's in FL, just before I had my shoulder scoped.

As crazy as it may sound if you don't paddle one, I think I will actually feel safer on a board, or at least on this board. I don't plan on paddling "the open ocean in any condition", but it's nice to know it is designed to. They don't show in the picture, but there are actually tie points up front and I can carry a lot of gear. I made a custom low profile crate from a commercial dishwasher rack. I will look like a kayaker some of the time as I will carry something to sit on.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	offtosea.jpg‎
Views:	231
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	194137 Click image for larger version.

Name:	glidespecs.jpg‎
Views:	232
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	194139
    -Andy

I paddled almost four and a half miles yesterday, a lot of it into the teeth of a pretty strong wind on Jordan. I could have done more but didn't push it. Paddling 6 or 8 for a day of BTB fishing won't be a problem. I did a literally dry run of rigging for fishing and I am satisfied with my set up. I am ready to roll...

EDIT - If anyone is up for a day of BTB the next couple of weekends, I may be able to swing it. Planning on the weekend of the 18th; which day may be weather dependent.
    -Andy

Next Saturday (11th) and/or either day the following weekend (18th/19th) looks good for me, weather dependent. TI is strong preference.
    -Andy

Went BTB today out to the reef at Oak Island. Went with a good kayak crew that paddles it often; I didn't realize you can get there almost as quickly as TI. I think I will be going back there a lot this year. I only got a couple of blues, but saw a nice Spanis landed and there were a couple of really big fish lost.
    -Andy

Very cool Andy. Be careful those blues don't bite your toes off on that paddleboard.
    OptiMystic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    Very cool Andy. Be careful those blues don't bite your toes off on that paddleboard.
    Kind of like noodling catfish.

Coolest thing I saw today was the huge turtles surfacing and snorting within a few feet of me.
    EvBlue likes this.

-Andy

Went back to OI again a couple of days ago. A TI trip is being organized for Monday, which I hope to make it to. I have been on NCAngler for over 10 years and hate to suggest going elsewhere, but I am finding a couple of FB groups that are much more active in regularly paddling BTB and fishing. The TI trip is in the group "NC offshore kayak/SUP fishing discussion". The other one that is very active is specific to OI - "Oak Island / Southport kayak SUP fishing". Friendly folks both places; they added SUP to their names after I joined, attended and posted.
    -Andy

Leatherback turtles?

Quote Originally Posted by EvBlue View Post
    Leatherback turtles?
    I think loggerheads. ID is not as simple as it seems like it would be even when they are within 20' of you. Their shells have mossy stuff on them and they don't "porpoise"; only the head breaks the surface and with the sun glare I couldn't see the back very well to look for "spines" or compare the head size. But I am pretty sure they were loggerheads.
    -Andy

are the reefs off oak island marked or do you go by coordinates? Do they have anchor buoys or do you just drift over?
    Red X Angler... I am but a padawan.
    Old Town Predator 13

Quote Originally Posted by Daze823 View Post
    are the reefs off oak island marked or do you go by coordinates? Do they have anchor buoys or do you just drift over?
    They are not marked; no buoys. But I have been twice on weekend days now and there is no question about location; boats are all over it. There is still enough space for us. A kayak or board can drift between pretty much every boat and its nearest neighbor even if they are close enough that another anchored boat would be unwelcome. You are kind of in a no man's land that is the buffer between the boats that neither of them quite cast to. Some of the pedal kayaks (which is what nearly every kayaker there uses) will roughly maintain position to jig sometimes or at least slow the drift. I am taking a drift sock that a kayaker is loaning me on Monday at TI.
    Daze823, and GreyGhost like this.

-Andy

AR 360 at TI was pretty good, but we had an offshore wind pick up that made the return a real slog for me; SUPs generally have a harder time with wind than kayaks. Because of the launch location, it seemed about the same distance as AR 340 at OI. For whatever reason (parking is part of it, I think), at OI the popular launch is at a location where you paddle out and to the left, while launching from next to the Jolly Roger pier at TI (there is public access by the water tower a block south) to paddle to AR 360 is a straight shot. I didn't do any good trolling out or back. We caught a lot of smallish fish drifting with jigs and bait. I caught a shark about 3' long, which was fairly exciting; it was peeling line off a heavy reel and putting a pretty good bend in a stiff rod. I also caught BSB, croaker and a lizard fish. Some gray trout were caught. I would go again, but definitely want an onshore breeze.

3 weekends in a row of BTB! I have learned a lot and I am fine tuning my gear. Going to take a break of a week or two.

EDIT - It required GPS to get on AR 360; there were no boats right on it when we first got to it. We did have an early start, but we still had only a couple of boats show. It was rougher than the days I had at OI, but I think that was mostly happenstance due to weather. When we drifted, we were still catching lots of fish (small, but plentiful) even when we were pretty far off the structure.
    EvBlue likes this.

-Andy

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast