NC Angler Forums banner

Jigging and popping blackfin tuna 4-7-19

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  porcha 
#1 ·
Headed offshore yesterday with the usual suspects. Fished with Capt Rick and everything came together; wind, waves, the bite. Boated 24 blackfins, mostly topwater. Some full grown AJs if you dropped to the bottom. Pair of kings to kick off the day. North Carolina!

[video=youtube;HQWjLCCZpLQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQWjLCCZpLQ[/video]

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
That looks like a fun day... Congrats. How far off-shore did you have to go to find them?
70 miles in 220-280'

That's a heck of a day. One of those blackies is a hoss! Was that Rick Crosson or another Capt Rick?
Yep, Capt Rick Croson, I alternate trips between Capt Mike Jackson and Capt Rick. We only jig and pop

#6 ·
I've fished with Rick Crosson several times. Twice when he was a ride along Capt on a friend's Viking sportfisher and once on his Onslow Bay. That is a one of a kind fishing machine, and Rick is the best offshore guide I've ever had the pleasure of fishing with. I don't know if there is a guide on the east coast who knows more about catching blackfin tuna, and he's a real good guy to boot. Loved seeing that old school Cotton Cordell Pencil Popper in the lineup along with all of the "Gucci" poppers and plugs. Who'd of thunk it? Do you doctor those with weights / BBs or fish them as is out of the box?

#7 ·
Loved seeing that old school Cotton Cordell Pencil Popper in the lineup along with all of the "Gucci" poppers and plugs. Who'd of thunk it? Do you doctor those with weights / BBs or fish them as is out of the box?
Those Cotton Cordell were Rick's gear, I too caught one on a rainbow trout pattern. All he does is swap out the hooks for higher quality ones. The solid bone color was the hot popper. In the morning the Halco 130s were the ticket for tuna. I also caught one on a High Speed Vibe. Once the sun came out and the fish were looking for the flying fish "splash" the poppers took over. My other buddy shapes his own poppers. He opted for his flying fish pattern but also has a real pretty mahi paint job that he didn't get wet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.