NC Angler Forums banner

Furled Leader Pros and Cons

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Whitefish115 
#1 ·
I've spent some time (more than I should) this winter watching various youtube videos and reading different things in order to get some what of a clue about fly fishing. One of the items I've been curious about is the use of furled leaders. I've seen some suggest that they've been able to use the same furled leader for well over a year.

Would a furled leader be more difficult to cast for a beginner?

What are some other pros and cons of using a furled leader instead of a standard tapered leader?

Any other wisdom you would like to share in regards to leaders (tapered and furled) would also be appreciated.

#2 ·
For nymphing, I like them. I use the Cutthroat 50" Hi-Vis Nymph leader with tippet ring. It has a sighter section built into the leader. ( Cutthroatfurledleaders.com ) Add about 3' of 2 or 3x tippit to another tippit ring, then two nymphs off that ring with 4 or 5x tippit, one at about 16 to 24" and the other about 8 to12".

I have used the same leader for more than one season. The fatal problems ocur when you pull a knot into one too tight to unravel or it begins to get too frayed in a spot to trust. Doesn't have memory like tapered leaders, and gives a good adjustment section for your sight indicator when indicator nymphing.

Attachments

#3 ·
I have fished Feathercraft SW furled leaders for the past few years. I like them but am not 100% convinced they are the best way to go. I love the simplicity. Just tie on a short section of 10# - 20# Fluoro depending on your quarry (trout, reds, albies), and you're set. After a few fly changes, just tie on another piece of Fluoro. However, they are thicker than a tapered leader, and with that woven material, they have more drag in the air and in the water. I'm not sure that matters too much to an expert caster, but for a living, breathing example of bad fly casting habits like me, I think it shortens my effective casting distance by just a little bit. Also, friends of mine whose opinions I value have told me that they aren't a good choice if fishing in heavier cover, docks, rock piles etc. where barnacles and oysters etc. will nick the leader which causes them to unravel or creates a fatal weak spot. I haven't experienced that because I've only used them in sand or mud bottoms or open water. My opinion-- They're worth a try. They do help to turn over larger flies with efficient transfer of energy from fly line to leader and because of the simplicity of changing tippets. I'm not convinced they are that much of an improvement to a couple sections of Ande where you can get a lifetime supply for about the same cost of one furled leader.

#4 ·
I used one for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that it did drop the fly on the water a bit more softly. I typically throw a fast, tight loop when I cast, so the softer drop is nice. I didn't fish it long, so, that was the main thing I noticed. I found a couple of videos online showing how to tie them without building a Jig. Its not the easiest thing to do with arthritic hands, but I did figure it out and made myself a few in varying lengths and weight configurations. We'll see how they work out.

#5 ·
I recently started using simple 2-step furled leaders I twisted up from Berkeley Big Game mono for the 7 weight, and I have to say, I am a believer. The only thing I didn't do is use a tippet ring, but the next ones I twist up will have them.
The 5 foot leaders I twisted turn big heavy flies over with ease (much, MUCH better than a store bought tapered leader, and slightly better than the level line leaders I've been using).
I wouldn't use one where a delicate presentation is required (dry fly for trout, for example), and they will start to sink sooner or later, but for the 7 weight, where I'm usually aiming for an active presentation, they are just the ticket.
I'm going to twist up a couple longer Euro-nymphing leaders next, using Rit dye to color a section for an indicator leader.
Sooner or later, I'm sure I'll build a proper jig to tie 4-step leaders. Bound to happen. I do know one thing- I'll never buy another store-bought leader for the bigger rods. I can get more than 50 leaders from a spool of mono for the price of 1 store bought leader. I'll still use store-bought tapered leaders for "technical" dry fly trout fishing, they're just better for a passive (drag-free) presentation.
That's my 2 cents.

#6 ·
Are most of you using mono or thread for your furled leaders? I twisted mine out of different weights of mono and the short time I have used them, the mono leaders seem to float like a cork. I did twist up a few fluro leaders as well. Going to see a buddy today that has a pond in his back yard. I'm going to test the fluro leaders there today.

#7 ·
I twisted mine out of mono. For the nymphing indicator leaders I'll eventually twist up, I'll use fluorocarbon since it sinks more readily than mono.
One other thing I noticed about the furled leader- it was MUCH better at turning over rigs and heavy flies at short distances than either a tapered leader or a level leader. Much better...

#8 ·
Would a furled leader be more difficult to cast for a beginner?
Several folks are fans of furled leaders and enjoy making them and using them. Having said that, it's perhaps worth noting that the majority of leader sales at my store are the standard "factory" tapered leaders. I try to keep few furled leaders in stock....just in case. And just to make matters a tad more confusing for folks getting started are all the leader rigs by the competition nymph fishermen.

It you are just getting started (based on your question)....it's hard to beat a standard setup to get rolling....but a couple of casting lessons from a good coach can make all the difference and may save a lot of headache.... regardless of the leader you are flinging....

Understanding the mechanics of fly casting and their application is probably way more important than a particular piece of tackle.

#9 ·
I agree with SEKOD, Mad Duck, and BMAC on much of what they say. Except when I am fishing in weeds or really heavy grass/marsh, I don't use store-bought tapered leaders. For about $100 I can get enough 50, 35, 25, and 20 lb. test line to build a batch of leaders (I fish more saltwater than fresh). I do have several furled leaders I use now and then. One of our fly fishing club members fishes nothing else. I like them fine, but I don't notice any increase or decrease in casting distance or how they land on the water. But then I'm not good enough to really tell the difference on long casts. I'll have to start trying to be more observant. But it is nice not having to worry about what Lefty Kreh called "poor casting knots" ("wind knots" is far more less judgmental) in them. I will continue to use the furled leaders when I use the reels that have them and will try to pay more attention. As for their expense, mine have lasted for several years without any problems, though I don't use them all the time. I do have to replaced my hand-tied leaders far more frequently, especially when I have been teaching fly fishing and students have used my rods/reels, beating up the leaders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.