Surf Carolina Beach 4/22 - 4/28
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Carolina Beach 4/22 - 4/28

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default Carolina Beach 4/22 - 4/28

    Heading down for a family trip which I spend the majority of fishing. Just wanted to see if anyone knows what's biting? Anybody heard reports of choppers or spanish from the surf or piers? Will be taking the yaks down too so I'm also game to fish the back side. Is anything steady happening in the brackish water? Any and all help is appreciated it'll help me decide what gear is worth taking! Tight Lines to all!

  2. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabeth City
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Not yet, but the water temps are raising quickly and i'd imagine we see the choppers any day now.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    New Bern
    Posts
    85

    Default

    Blues are here now (MHC area) so surely they are along SC beaches since they migrate north with their preferred water temps.

  5. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Assuming that MHC is Morehead City that sounds good. I'll be staying in Carolina beach / Kure Beach so hopefully we'll be able to snag a few. I love catching blues and Spanish. I'll take whatever I can catch though. Appreciate the replies!

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Arrived in Carolina Beach to find the dredge rigs hard at work. I've always heard that dredging has a negative affect on the fishing due to the absence of troughs/cuts in the surf. Any experienced surf guys have an opinion on that? I'll be up with the sun and fish the rising tide. Plan to soak some cut bait and throw a kastmaster until my arms fall off. I'll post an update after.
    blueoceaneyez, and kdig67 like this.


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Water looks okay, REALLY GREEN past the breakers. Didn't catch anything though. According to a couple of the King Fisherman on the pier the Spanish are still south (Cherry Grove). They couldn't even catch blue's for bait today despite catching blues all day yesterday. Fish come and go. Maybe I'll be in the right spot at the right time later this evening!

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    I'm at a loss. Switched up tactics to an ultra light, #4 gold hooks, tipped with fresh shrimp, a 1 oz lead, and can't even get my shrimp stolen? I've covered almost 200 yards of beach casting at ranges between 15 yards and as far as it takes to get past the breakers... not a single bite. The water temps look to be in the mid 60's. Is it the water temps? The dredging? Guess I'll head to the pier and throw a gotcha plug. Other than that I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    wilmington
    Posts
    44

    Default

    In my experience this time of year is usually hit or miss and right now sounds like you are missing...dredging definitely doesn’t help And I’d recommend fishing where they aren’t dumping sand because I’ve always been told it kills off sand fleas and things like that which keeps the fish away...good luck

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Elizabeth City
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    I'm at a loss. Switched up tactics to an ultra light, #4 gold hooks, tipped with fresh shrimp, a 1 oz lead, and can't even get my shrimp stolen? I've covered almost 200 yards of beach casting at ranges between 15 yards and as far as it takes to get past the breakers... not a single bite. The water temps look to be in the mid 60's. Is it the water temps? The dredging? Guess I'll head to the pier and throw a gotcha plug. Other than that I'm at a loss. Any ideas?
    200 yards of beach really isn't much at all... are you just aimlessly moving around or are you actually reading the surf and fishing troughs and holes?

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NCStateFisher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    I'm at a loss. Switched up tactics to an ultra light, #4 gold hooks, tipped with fresh shrimp, a 1 oz lead, and can't even get my shrimp stolen? I've covered almost 200 yards of beach casting at ranges between 15 yards and as far as it takes to get past the breakers... not a single bite. The water temps look to be in the mid 60's. Is it the water temps? The dredging? Guess I'll head to the pier and throw a gotcha plug. Other than that I'm at a loss. Any ideas?
    200 yards of beach really isn't much at all... are you just aimlessly moving around or are you actually reading the surf and fishing troughs and holes?

    Considering the amount of holes and troughs are next to zero due to the beach replenishment (dredging I mentioned earlier)...I should have specified 200 yards in both directions from where I walked down onto the beach. I fished every rip in 400 yards and never had bite. I agree 200, even 400 yards of shoreline is a miniscule amount; however, based on previous experiences I've had at the same time of year (same week each year) with very similar water temps and water clarity the lack of gamefish and "bait thief's" is astounding. I went to the Kure pier this morning and threw a gotcha and sabiki for 2.5 hours in king green water and only managed to catch 3 candy bar sized bluefish one of which was the same length of the gotcha. I appreciate your input on the topic and it's direct relation to my question.
    NCStateFisher likes this.


  13. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    Posts
    6

    Default

    You having any better luck? I'll be down there Fri afternoon and fishing through Sunday.

  14. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post
    You having any better luck? I'll be down there Fri afternoon and fishing through Sunday.
    Still nothing. Found a spot with deeper water last night and fished til well after dark. Birds are working 100-125 yards past the first break today. Wind is blowing 15-20 sustained and gusting near 30. I might plug the pier at daybreak Saturday morning before it gets too busy. Other than that I'll take the skunk and come back in the fall. Best of luck to you, hopefully the sea is kinder to you than it was me. Tight lines man.

  15. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Chapel Hill
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyOne View Post
    Still nothing. Found a spot with deeper water last night and fished til well after dark. Birds are working 100-125 yards past the first break today. Wind is blowing 15-20 sustained and gusting near 30. I might plug the pier at daybreak Saturday morning before it gets too busy. Other than that I'll take the skunk and come back in the fall. Best of luck to you, hopefully the sea is kinder to you than it was me. Tight lines man.
    I didn't do very well either. Fished the inlet for a 1/2 day Saturday morning and tried again in the afternoon. The wind blew me out of there promptly. Caught a few small blues and that was it. Fished from the inlet to Snow's Cut Sunday morning and didn't catch ****. Next time I won't be following my local "guide", I'm pretty sure I would have done much better making my own gameplan. He wasn't really a guide, just my buddy that lives down there, but he does fairly well off his pier which seems to be all he knows, lol.

  16. Remove Advertisements

    Advertisements
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts