NC Angler Forums banner

Cape Lookout Help

Surf 
4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  h2ohhh 
#1 ·
Me and a few buddies are staying in a shack on cape lookout later this month. None of us are experienced saltwater anglers so any info on the area would be great. What should we bring? What should we expect to catch? Do we need to bring bait or is there places to catch it with a cast net? Any other info or tips is appreciated

thanks

#2 ·
Really jumping into the deep end with this trip haha. Well you need to bring all.gour own supplies. Cabins have gas but no electricity unless you bring a generator.

Tackle depends.on what your after. Rods anywhere from 7-13 feet depending on species. In general you can each get by with 3 rods.

One 7-9 ft rod for casting metal for blues and Spanish. These rods should be able to handle up to 2oz. Typical lures are sting silvers and kast masters. Can also use as extra sea mullet rod.

Another 7-9 ft rod for bottom fishing for smaller stuff. Use #6-#4 j hooks or #4-#2 circles on this rig. Small pieces of fresh shrimp work best. Also sand fleas of you can find them. Can switch to larger hooks and fish half/whole shrimp or small cutbait for puppy drum.

Lastly a 10-13 ft rod for big stuff. Big drum, big blues, sharks if your into that. 8/0-12/0 circle hooks for this. Any nice chunk of fresh cut bait works fine.

#8 ·
Not a matter of hate but it's state parkland so to answer your initial question.. you've got a higher likelihood of getting checked there than most places!

Go ahead and bring some bait shrimp and fishbites with you to be safe - should be able to catch as much cut bait as you need from there

#12 ·
Make sure you have the saltwater license. I’ve been checked as many as 3 times in as many days out there. Technically you should have your drivers license to show at the same time. By the way it’s National Seashore not State. While you can cast net finger mullet on the sound side (google earth shows a spot you can drive to on the north end of the cabins) you may have difficulty this early in the year. If you’re taking Davis Ferry over call them to see if they have any mullet to sell. If not stop on the way and get some. A chunk of finger mullet on a 3/0 circle hook on a Carolina rig will catch reds and blues. It’s a wild and epic place and the fishing can be phenomenal. The bugs aren’t bad on the beach except for a west wind. Don’t even think about going outside at night though around the cabins. I’m assuming you have a 4x4. Air down your tires to 18-20 after you come off the ferry. Have a shovel, piece of carpet or board and a tow strap. While the south end is the most popular (and 14 miles south of the cabins) there is excellent fishing all along the shore. You can buy ice at the cabins and there’s an air pump there for when you leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Also if you’ve never used a circle hook DON’T set the hook. Just reel. You won’t hook the fish if you set it. You may know this but you mentioned you don’t fish much saltwater. Redfish under 18” and over 27 must be released. The circle hook helps ensure they don’t get gut hooked. They will be hooked right in the corner of the mouth. If the blues are thick use a thin wire leader.

You also must have an ORV permit to drive on the beach. Information found here.
https://www.nps.gov/calo/planyourvisit/orv.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.