Hand held VHF radio/gps recommendation

Thread: Hand held VHF radio/gps recommendation

Default Hand held VHF radio/gps recommendation

Looking for some recommendations on hand held VHF radios/gps units. Salt water

Thank you,

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well this may turn into a Ford, Chevy, Ram ( I own two Tundras Lol) debate but here goes. I have a Standard Horizon HX 870 and I bought as a backup for my permanent VHF with fixed antenna on my CC and as the primary for the duck boat. I have had/used several different brands but always bought standard VHFs for my boats and have never had issues.
    Using the GPS takes a bit of study to use but I don't use it much. Charge lasts for months and transmit power is not too far off from the fixed as far as distance reception on Pamlico, SOBX, and Kerr lake. VHFs are like life jackets, parachutes, and bungie jumping cords I would rather spend $50 or even 100 bucks more to know what I have. It floats but it has an IPX8 Waterproof rating meaning if you submerse it in over a meter of water it will still be waterproof. That was important to me....Less expensive "waterproof" models I have found usually aren't when you need them and especially in saltwater. I got it for under $150 with a rebate but I think anything under $200 could be had easily.

Standard horizon has a good one. About 250 though. Its got GPS in it so you can set navpoints and such, as well as have coordinates in case of rescue.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'd stick with either an ICOM or Standard Horizon

Several good brands out there, also keep an eye out for a West Marine sale, their house units are made by one of the major companies that you can get at very good price with the right sale. The unit unit below is made by Uniden.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-...9?recordNum=100
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Jackson Coosa FD, Native Ultimate 14.5, CCA Member

Great information and thanks to all . Didn't really know where to start and knew someone on here could lead me in the right direction.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements