NC Angler Forums banner

Bodie Island Lighthouse trip

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Chris52 
#1 ·
I see a weather/wind/tide window coming up the beginning of next week for a trip to the Oregon Inlet area. On Monday I am headed to the Park Service Campground for a 2-night stay. Temps forecast for the low 70’s, light winds, and a wonderful mid-day high tide that should give me a lot of flexibility to make a paddle toward Blossy Creek and the lighthouse.

Make no mistake——I am NOT paddling the inlet!

I will put in at the fishing center across the highway near the giant propeller, and then head north toward the light. Will more than likely spend some time fishing the area behind the Coast Guard Station, and then make my way up around the islands and the marsh. Hoping for trout, reds, and maybe a flounder or two.

Any thoughts??? Suggestions??? I may be wishing for more wind at night, but I am all stocked up on my ThermaCell supplies, and Deep Woods Off, as the ‘skeeters are no doubt already swarming at the campground. I will be tent camping in Loop A...any body in the area feel free to stop by and introduce yourself. White Toyota Highlander with a blue Perception Pilot kayak on a home-brewed trailer. Will hope to have a positive report to post up when I get back.

Reactions: biglenr
#4 ·
So, I am back. I wish I could say it was an epic fishing trip...but nope, can’t do it. My weather window referenced above held true, except for the wind, which blew pretty steady 12-15 out of the southwest. Between the heavy rains all of the week before, and the steady wind, the water was pretty stirred up and dingy. Did I get skunked——not if you count all the skates I caught. Did I have a great trip——absolutely.

Here is the rig, ready to roll out of my driveway and get on the road Monday morning...

Two hours later, all set up at camp, with the beach about 50 yards behind me just over the dunes...

Unfortunately, the humpback whale that washed ashore in February is still there, displayed a la flagrante delicto so the picture has been edited (as this is a family friendly site). The first night I was there the wind was out of the northeast and did me no favors...how bad do you think a two-month-dead whale smells?

And then, the reason I went...pictures of my paddle to the Bodie Island light...

Between the paddling, the camping, and the clear starry nights my soul got soothed pretty well. The Oregon Inlet Campground is run by the National Park Service, and it is spotless. Bathrooms were clean, the showers were warm, and the staff were helpful. Because of the wind, the mosquitoes were not a problem, although I had planned ahead.

I had (and used) extra 10 inch tent stakes and screw-in tent stakes with added lines to withstand the 25 mph gusts on Tuesday night. Some campers used only the wire stakes that came with their tents, and there were 3-4 flattened tents come morning.

In spite of not having any fresh fish to cook, I made out pretty well with a hobo dinner of seasoned chicken and baked red potatoes and carrots...

I am ready to go back! With my Park Service Senior Pass my camp site cost me $14 per night...what a deal.

Attachments

#5 ·
I camped there for two weeks the summer of 1983. When we first got there it was dark, we got the charcoal going on the grill and cooked up burgers. The first bite discovered they were gritty, what we did not notice was all the sand on the grate, oh well just some extra roughage. Then had a seagull steal bacon right out off the hot frying pan in the morning, learning curve here.

Caught fish almost everyday from the beach, mostly bluefish, which the small ones are pretty tasty. Would look for the shrimp boats coming in and would go to the marina and get them right off the boat.

There were a few storms that took some tents down, one that was interesting was a large group came in and set up one of the huge Coleman canvas tents, storm took it down during the night and all the occupants were still in the downed tent in the morning sleeping with the canvas just laying on top of them.

Played cards every night, was all we could afford at the time. Great time, was there with three females, one became my wife two years later.

Reactions: Chris52
#6 ·
A few campers fished the surf but did not catch anything. Some others went to Jeannette’s Pier in Nags Head and caught a few 2-3 pound spanish and bluefish on Gotcha jigs. The big boats coming back to the fishing center loaded up on black fin and a few mahi.

Sounds like you made the biggest catch of all, though...congrats!

#7 ·
Appreciate the insights about what to expect, mosquito-wise.
I have one of those mosquito net hats, too, and since I may be launching at Bodie Island several days next week. I'll take it.
One other thing I found when I camped in Boundary Waters Canoe Area up in MN - long sleeves and gloves help a lot. There's still the irritation factor if they're swarming around your head, just out of reach on the other side of the mosquito net hat- my son and I cut our trip short because it just got too annoying.
Would cigars help?

#8 ·
Cigars couldn’t hurt!? Therma-cell might be a better choice, mosquito wise. With this hot weather I hope the dead whale is gone. Stay away from the inlet itself——its a dangerous place. The current is not to be ignored. From the O Inlet fishing center head toward the lighthouse. But you might not have to go far as things are popping now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.