Lost a Beast!

Thread: Lost a Beast!

Default Lost a Beast!

My wife and I took out the new skiff to Badin a few days ago.
    We were targeting Crappie in a deep channel, around 35 feet.
    We started out doing pretty good, not a ton of fish, but nice quality 10-14 inchers.

On one drop I had a hit, hooked the fish and started my retreive. About five cranks in the fish just stopped. I was like he had wrapped around structure, only problem is there was nothing but a flat bottom bellow me. I looked at the down scan and saw a large mark about 20 down, though maybe I found a drifting log...

Nope, the log started a run up-current. I fought this fish for 20 minutes and could never gain more than 10 feet of line. Finally he made a very fast run in which the trolling motor would not keep up. I fired the engine to try to chase after the fish...... Big mistake, I felt him shake his head and spit out whatever he has eaten. Bringing in the line, I see what he had swallowed, a 12 inch crappie. Poor fish was all but destroyed.

Made me sick, as I am sure that would have outdone my personal best catfish of 45 pounds. I have never had a fish give me a workout like that.

Wish I could have seen that beast.

~Michael
    Bleedingblue, NewYakker, and SurfRider like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Ah yes, the tale of the lost leviathan. I think we can all feel your pain.
    ~JOE~
    Solo Dei Gloria

Quote Originally Posted by michael_cb_125 View Post
    My wife and I took out the new skiff to Badin a few days ago.
    We were targeting Crappie in a deep channel, around 35 feet.
    We started out doing pretty good, not a ton of fish, but nice quality 10-14 inchers.

On one drop I had a hit, hooked the fish and started my retreive. About five cranks in the fish just stopped. I was like he had wrapped around structure, only problem is there was nothing but a flat bottom bellow me. I looked at the down scan and saw a large mark about 20 down, though maybe I found a drifting log...

Nope, the log started a run up-current. I fought this fish for 20 minutes and could never gain more than 10 feet of line. Finally he made a very fast run in which the trolling motor would not keep up. I fired the engine to try to chase after the fish...... Big mistake, I felt him shake his head and spit out whatever he has eaten. Bringing in the line, I see what he had swallowed, a 12 inch crappie. Poor fish was all but destroyed.

Made me sick, as I am sure that would have outdone my personal best catfish of 45 pounds. I have never had a fish give me a workout like that.

Wish I could have seen that beast.

~Michael
    congrats on the almost flathead I’m guessing... notorious for playing with bait almost like a flounder. Most blues will rip the rod outta of your hand but flats are a special kind of sneaky. On Kerr we used to use crappie for flathead bait but minimum size kind of limits that now unless using it whole and alive over 9 inches. Now u know what bait to use !

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I would bet on money on a flatty as well. Totally different fight than any blue that I have caught.

~Michael

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements