Slow day on Harris....again

Thread: Slow day on Harris....again

Default Slow day on Harris....again

My buddy and I got out to Shearon Harris at about 8:30 a.m. yesterday. We started out in the bays, fishing them from front to back with plastics, buzzbaits, and poppers. Threw spinner baits near the mouths and points all to no avail. We made a run up the Cary branch where we found one hungry pickerel, one small bass, and one mudfish. That would be it for our 5 hours on the water. Temps ran from 62-70 by day's end with water clarity of about 1-2 feet. Others we talked to were having similar days, one here, one there, nothing to brag about. It was a beautiful day on the lake regardless.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I caught them pretty good Sunday. Had probably 8 slot fish, 2 under and 1 over that was probably 6ish. Most were in the dirt, did see a few on beds too later in the day but no bigguns.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

I fish Harris weekly and so far this has been a disappointing spring. Fish are there, they just don't bite. I scouted some bream beds last Thursday, caught a few so brought my young daughters out yesterday evening. Figured after the warming trend it would have only gotten better. Nothing! Caught a small bass but not even the gills wanted to bite. They would nibble at a curly tail but laughed at the worm and bobber rigs. So strange!

Marked a lot of good fish in the middle of the coves, definitely looked like crappie on the graph. We switched gears and started long lining jigs. Man with all those fish on the graph and some action on the surface it should have been on. Nothing. Oh well, we had a good time on the water and the girls spent most of the time dissecting worms :P
    For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Matthew 16:26)

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I feel your pain. We routinely see fish all over the graph but can't get them to bite. I've also seen plenty of crappie fisherman sitting in the areas where our graph is full of fish but not bringing any to the boat. With Jordan basically unfishable at the moment, we plan to head back to Harris next Friday. Fortunately for us, my partner lives on Sunset Lake in Holly Springs, so we can take his little two man boat out for a "confidence boost." Hopefully things will pick up on Harris because I know the fish are there.

In it's defense it gets the crap beat out of it 7 days a week not to mention it is a near shadow of what it was when there was grass. That place breaks my heart when I think of what used to be. Just another great fishery destroyed by ncwrc

So here's my next question--instead of trying to figure out Harris, should I put more effort into fishing Jordan? It's only a few more minutes drive and seems to offer just as good of a chance for landing some LM bass. What do you all think?

Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    In it's defense it gets the crap beat out of it 7 days a week not to mention it is a near shadow of what it was when there was grass. That place breaks my heart when I think of what used to be. Just another great fishery destroyed by ncwrc
    Isn't that the truth. I sure do miss those days...
    For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? (Matthew 16:26)

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements