NC Angler Forums banner

New (or not) Trouble on the Neuse

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  crappie89 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thanks for posting this up or I would have missed it. Doesn’t sound good at all and with all the corporate money and our elected officials who apparently don’t care except about personal agendas and staying in office. From some of the reads I’ve been doing seems like the younger people over in Europe are really pushing the issue on climate change, pollution in the water and the environment at general. I hope they can keep it going and make a difference for they are the ones who will have to live in the mess governments, politicians and greedy corporations dump on them.

#3 ·
Problem is far too many environmentalist already have their nice homes on the water and do not want anything to obstruct their views. Seems that they did not become concerned until they all got their waterfront homes built. I know from experience that digging up wetlands or marshes is not as much of a problem as where are you going to put the material you dug up. Seems it acceptable to dig it up in order to build harbors or canals for boats but a big NoNo to cover up wet lands of any type, The exception of course if you need the mud/dirt to fill in wetlands in order to build condos , rv parks, housing developments, etc. I live near Harkers Island and its a shame to watch wetlands or marsh land be filled in this area so more ding batters can have their waterfront and pretty views. Of course if the locals were to get caught peeing on the marsh then they would likely spend time in prison.

#7 ·
Y'all need to watch or read the doco, if not, because it referenced 1990 was the peak of pollution hit on the Neuse and when things started to change for the better via regulations along with farmers agreed to drastic fertilizer use, but things started to really go downhill within the past decade. Yep, lost of buffer zones and wastewater are major hits to the river.

#8 ·
I don't disagree with you about water quality and buffer zones etc. I think it was stupid of the state to change those rules and I suspect that those rules will be reinstated one day. That being said, I am always hesitant to think that any political party will absolutely solve any problem. It will take more of them working together to actually get anything done.

With regards to the pollution, I imagine the state could buy out a bunch of hog farmers if they wanted to. If the government took half of the money it wasted and purchased property in environmentally vulnerable areas, they could likely deal with this issue relatively pain free. Hog farmers would likely take the opportunity to get out from under the thumb of the contract growing system.

I am also weary of non-profit groups who raise money off this stuff (or anything really). They are always looking for the next crisis to raise money.

Rant over. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.