Down East Trip

Thread: Down East Trip

Default Down East Trip

Several of us headed Down East last weekend for an annual fishing trip.
    I went down Thursday and arrived around noon. I fished for several hours before heading farther East to where we were staying.
    In that 3-4 hour window, I caught well over 150 Bream, most of them very nice sized,all on the flyrod. I fished a set of cypress knees within 100 yards of the ramp and took 30 +/- fish from there in the first 20 minutes of the first cast. Most of the Bream were nice sized and almost black with a sunrise orange belly. I also caught several bass in the 3/4-1.5 pound range.

I moved on to the motel around 4ish for chilled adult beverages and some fishing stories with my friends.

Friday morning found me at a ramp and creek that I had never fished before. I got the kayak in the water,paddled across the creek and started casting a popper/dropper rig and on my 3rd cast, a huge hole in the water appeared under my popper. I came tight on a really nice bass (on a 5wt). A couple of spins around the creek and I reached down and pulled it in the boat. I estimate 3-4 pounds. NEVER hesitate to fish close to the ramp!!

The day went on and the Bream fishing started to heat up and I would conservatively estimate 150-200 Bream came over the rails that day. Most very nice bream in the 8-10 inch range and some as heavy as 3/4 of a pound. Some real fun on a 5wt.
    As the day passed, I caught several other species, Crappie, Blackfish and even a couple of Millpond Fliers

Saturday, The game changed. I went back to the same creek and started fishing where I had stopped the day before. I was snakebit and really struggled to catch much on a flyrod. I did notice that on the depth finder, I was marking fish from almost top to bottom,so I tucked the flyrod away and grabbed the ultralight with a medium sized beetle-spin on. Almost immediately, I was getting short strikes really close to the boat without hooking up. I slowed down the retrieve and let the beetlespin work a little deeper and wham. Up comes.....A White Perch.

I knew at this point why the Bream fishing had shut down and what was marking up my depthfinder. I paddled really slowly with my beetlespin and trolled up and down the creek and quickly had put 30 of the White Perch into the boat and back in the water. All in all the trolling was fun,but I wanted to catch more fish on the flyrod.
    I worked hard the rest of the day and maybe caught 30 total Bream for the day. I did catch another Bass on the popper/dropper combo,but it was a bit smaller,by a little

And what trip down East would be complete without the obligatory photo of a blackfish

It was a nice peaceful weekend. The wind was a bit testy at times,seeming blowing in all directions at once, but I did find some nice calm waters.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-2769.jpg‎
Views:	240
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	194377 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-2765.jpg‎
Views:	233
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	194379 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-2766.jpg‎
Views:	228
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	194381 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-2771.jpg‎
Views:	234
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	194383 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-2772.jpg‎
Views:	228
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	194385 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-2763.jpg‎
Views:	232
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	194387 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-2786.jpg‎
Views:	233
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	194389 Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-2770.jpg‎
Views:	239
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	194391

Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG-2768.jpg‎
Views:	229
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	194393

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Blackfish...is that the same as a bowfin?.

and for some for some reason, my dad always called those “gaspargoul” or something crazy like that..

Caught some in Illinois as a teen visiting my brother, they called them "Dogfish" and "Grinnell's". I heard "Gaspergou" in Louisiana. Haven't caught any in NC .
    Red X angler

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Grinnell...that was it. Gross fish.
    Gaspsrgoul was something else.

Grinnels/Dogfish/Bowfin/Blackfish may be ugly,but thats a hard fighting fish and I LOVE catching them on a fly rod!

Quote Originally Posted by bonz View Post
    Grinnell...that was it. Gross fish.
    Gaspsrgoul was something else.
    Gaspargou is Cajun for "freshwater drum."
    badankles likes this.

Excellent trip. Must have been a lot of fun getting into all those fish on the flyrod.

It was indeed ,a lot of fun

Nice pics .I like it when I get a variety. Like the kayak too. Is it a Jackson? Looks a lot lime mine.

Yes, Its a Jackson Big Rig
    Bitburger likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements