NC Angler Forums banner

Looking for sun hat recommendations

4K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  h2ohhh 
#1 ·
Im trying to be more mindful of sun exposure, and for the past few years have cycled between a regular boonie hat and a straw hat. They both have their pro’s and con’s, but neither really fit the bill for what I’m looking for.

The weight of the boonies are nice, and they breathe pretty well helping to keep my head cool, but I can’t stand having the brim flopping down in my face. The straw hat keeps its shape, but it gets pretty warm under there.

I’m looking for something lightweight, but with a brim that doesn’t flop around. I know Tilley and Shelta are 2 options, but I can’t really afford to drop that much on a hat right now. Hoping someone here knows of a similar hat that has a little more reasonable price tag.

#8 ·
Baseball cap and a buff........but the buff has to cover nose and ears to be effective.........I like to ones that have a mesh panel that makes breathing a little easier......
I absolutely hate sunscreen but use it often, especially when I sweat and tend to wipe my face.

#9 ·
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I do have a buff that I wear while fishing, but I needed a sun hat for work, yard work, etc, also.

I happened to be in Winston today, so I swung by Academy to see what they had. I liked the Magellan hats, but I couldn’t find one that fit me well. While there my wife found a boonie made by Huk that has firm panels in the front and back of the brim. They were $30, but I’ve been sitting on a gift card for a while and decided to cash it in on one of these.

#10 ·
I'll chime in late. For fishing AND yardwork I like my Tilley hat but not in the wind. The loose fit and floppy brim aren't well suited for windy days IMO. I use a buff under the Tilley on sunny but calm days. Buff under a trucker hat quite often as well. My bald head sweats and the buff really keeps me cool and dry under a hat.

#12 ·
The regular tube type Buff is similar to others, just make sure the material is a good wicking material. I use the UV mask, it has extra material around the neck/shoulder area to prevent non-covered spots that can happen around your collar with the tube type.

#13 ·
I've found the buff's brand to be larger than others I've tried. They hold up well, and don't "pill" as badly as cheaper ones.

I do like the one's SA Fishing sells but they are noticeably smaller and thinner than the buff's. For me, the SA are good for a doo-rag under my hat but they are too small to fit me comfortably as a sun shield/neck gaiter.

#14 ·
I agree......I've ordered some of the SA buffs and while their graphics are amusing I don't think they wick very well and since many of them are darker colors that tend to absorb the heat of the sun I try to stick with the lighter colors offered by some other companies.....

#17 ·
This thread has been really helpful and got me thinking about upping my fishing clothing. I have one of those simple tube buff (a stocking stuffer from my kids) and used it a few times, but it doesn't fit quite right and does not cover enough of the neck and collar area.

From this thread, I started looking for a new buff, some of others came up, such as shirts (I was gonna go with long sleeves and collared), and a pair of fingerless sun gloves (will the synthetic leader palm and finger patches hurt the fish when C&R?) Then I noticed the arm sleeves....ugh, so many choices and expense. But they are definitely better than having to put on sunscreens (and melanoma).

Any suggestions in addition to the buff from your experience?

#18 ·
I am still working on sungear myself. I tried using a wide-brim hat with a buff, but the hat just got too heavy and hot. Maybe it was the wrong brand or style. I find that the buff pulled up over the back of a trucker hat is a lot more comfortable. And the baseball style visor seems to do a better job shielding the eyes.

I have one of those vented long sleeved button down collar fishing shirts. Its ok - I don't know if its the brand or style (gander mt guide series) but it gets hot. I think I might try out the spf long sleeved T-shirts. But the long sleeves really do make a difference, I was out fishing last week and and my hands were noticeably burned/tanned starting where the cuffs end. I might want to try gloves - if for nothing else than the windburn which actually bothers me more.

Finally, don't overlook pants. I hardly ever wear shorts when fishing anymore. Get some kind of technical or columbia style pants, they really make a difference. There are times when they feel hot but most other times I truly believe they help stay cool, especially if there is any breeze.

#19 ·
I have been very happy with long sleeve shirts sold by Orvis called DriRelease. I like the zip up style. In hot weather they are great by themselves and are something like SPF 20. I have worn these on some long fishing days and never had any issue with sunburn. In colder weather they make for a great base layer. I buy them on sale when I can, they are stupid expensive otherwise.

The Columbia PFG choices are pretty good too and those are available at Academy and other brick and mortar stores to try on. Getting the shirts with the caped back and mesh liners, etc makes them comfortable in hot weather, and you can still wear them in winter with proper layering. The SPF on most of the Columbia stuff is more like 50. They are making styles with incorporated hoods now that offer even more sun protection.

I'm still stubborn about my shorts but have picked up a pair or two of the quick-dry, convertible long pants from Columbia. There are different fabric thicknesses to these types of pants so be cautious if buying online. I've been disappointed a time or two because the item was not comfortable in summer conditions. Being able to zip off the legs and have a pair of shorts is a nice feature IMO.

I tried some of the SA sleeves but they weren't all that comfortable to me, and I looked sort of dorky in them. But I look dorky in everything so....

#20 ·
https://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/hanes-mens-long-sleeve-t-shirt-24270?categoryId=129551

Kayaker here. I have 3 or 4 of the fishing shirts, different brands, with the vent in back and I never wear them. You can buy a weeks worth of the long sleeve tees, in link above, with upf 50 for what one of the fishing shirts cost. Never been burnt wearing one. Trucker hat with one buff over ears and face and another around the neck. Good to go. Spray mist bottle of water kept in the cooler helps cool me down.

#24 ·
sandbar - this topic has come up before on the forum and those Hanes T-shirts were always a big hit. I am definitely going to try them out. I have seen comments on Amazon that the sizes don't necessarily correlate to those of other shirts, like XL is gigantic compared to normal XL. Do you have any comments on that? I hate buying online for reasons like that, and I don't feel like running all over town trying to find them and figure out the size.

https://www.hanes.com/shop/hanes/hanes-mens-long-sleeve-t-shirt-24270?categoryId=129551

Kayaker here. I have 3 or 4 of the fishing shirts, different brands, with the vent in back and I never wear them. You can buy a weeks worth of the long sleeve tees, in link above, with upf 50 for what one of the fishing shirts cost. Never been burnt wearing one. Trucker hat with one buff over ears and face and another around the neck. Good to go. Spray mist bottle of water kept in the cooler helps cool me down.

#29 ·
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions. I've just ordered a couple of Hanes cool dri (can't beat the price if they truly are what you said), a pair of sun gloves, and a neck buff that covers down the neck more. I have a trucker cap already. I'll have to save up for the more hi-tech shirts and pants from Orvis and Columbia, or keep looking for sales.

Here's to many more years of fishing to all of us......

#30 ·
I think a Tilley is the bomb. Lifetime warranty, airflow, waterproof. Has a comfortable strap that tucks up inside it but mine fits so well I haven’t ever used it. Yes they are expensive but they last forever. As for a bargain I found a long sleeve Simms a few years ago at Neuse Sports shop that’s super light and cool. It was on clearance for $25. Wish I’d have bought more than one. I also like the zip off Columbia pants. They are light and dry super fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.