Looking for sun hat recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for sun hat recommendations

Default Looking for sun hat recommendations

Im trying to be more mindful of sun exposure, and for the past few years have cycled between a regular boonie hat and a straw hat. They both have their pro’s and con’s, but neither really fit the bill for what I’m looking for.

The weight of the boonies are nice, and they breathe pretty well helping to keep my head cool, but I can’t stand having the brim flopping down in my face. The straw hat keeps its shape, but it gets pretty warm under there.

I’m looking for something lightweight, but with a brim that doesn’t flop around. I know Tilley and Shelta are 2 options, but I can’t really afford to drop that much on a hat right now. Hoping someone here knows of a similar hat that has a little more reasonable price tag.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

tilley......worth it

Trucker hat, baseball hat with mesh back, and a Buff UV face mask. Wide brim hats do not help for water glare and do not do well in wind.
    crappie89 likes this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Jackson Coosa FD, Native Ultimate 14.5, CCA Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have a tilley and don't use it. I do the same as NCTribute. You really can't afford melanoma.
    Last edited by sandbar; 05-12-2019 at 10:56 AM. Reason: additional comment
    I would not scare my pony on my boat out on the sea

I have a henschel that I like a lot. Doesn't flop around and not too pricey.

Chris52 likes this.

OK so you think you are smarter than a fish, let me see you prove it!

You might want to look at the Magellan hats at academy sports, they are about $20.00.

Baseball cap and a buff........but the buff has to cover nose and ears to be effective.........I like to ones that have a mesh panel that makes breathing a little easier......
    I absolutely hate sunscreen but use it often, especially when I sweat and tend to wipe my face.

Thanks for the recommendations, everyone. I do have a buff that I wear while fishing, but I needed a sun hat for work, yard work, etc, also.

I happened to be in Winston today, so I swung by Academy to see what they had. I liked the Magellan hats, but I couldn’t find one that fit me well. While there my wife found a boonie made by Huk that has firm panels in the front and back of the brim. They were $30, but I’ve been sitting on a gift card for a while and decided to cash it in on one of these.

I'll chime in late. For fishing AND yardwork I like my Tilley hat but not in the wind. The loose fit and floppy brim aren't well suited for windy days IMO. I use a buff under the Tilley on sunny but calm days. Buff under a trucker hat quite often as well. My bald head sweats and the buff really keeps me cool and dry under a hat.

Are the buffs better than the store brand versions?

Quote Originally Posted by Kayak Fisherman View Post
    Are the buffs better than the store brand versions?
    The regular tube type Buff is similar to others, just make sure the material is a good wicking material. I use the UV mask, it has extra material around the neck/shoulder area to prevent non-covered spots that can happen around your collar with the tube type.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Jackson Coosa FD, Native Ultimate 14.5, CCA Member

I've found the buff's brand to be larger than others I've tried. They hold up well, and don't "pill" as badly as cheaper ones.

I do like the one's SA Fishing sells but they are noticeably smaller and thinner than the buff's. For me, the SA are good for a doo-rag under my hat but they are too small to fit me comfortably as a sun shield/neck gaiter.

Quote Originally Posted by rmhpmi View Post
    I've found the buff's brand to be larger than others I've tried. They hold up well, and don't "pill" as badly as cheaper ones.

I do like the one's SA Fishing sells but they are noticeably smaller and thinner than the buff's. For me, the SA are good for a doo-rag under my hat but they are too small to fit me comfortably as a sun shield/neck gaiter.
    I agree......I've ordered some of the SA buffs and while their graphics are amusing I don't think they wick very well and since many of them are darker colors that tend to absorb the heat of the sun I try to stick with the lighter colors offered by some other companies.....

Do any of you wear gloves also?

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast