Inshore First Citation

Thread: First Citation

Default First Citation

I have been fishing in NC for almost 10years not and have yet to catch my first citation until Saturday. We hit the Bogue Inlet at the end of the falling tide and if anyoneís been out recently it can get pretty rough with the 2 shoals on the way out with white water. We broke the breakers put it on plane and headed out a mile or so past all the boat traffic and dropped some deep divers and spoons in to troll a few miles out. We were headed to some hard bottom I found last year and had marks on. We were planning on jigging for sea bass, gray trout and flounder. We ended up catching 2 Spanish lost a few others and I couldnít take it anymore we pulled them up and got back on plane to our destination. We got there and the bottom was alive as always. Sonar was lit up. There were bait balls showing deep and shallow. Nothing in the surface though. Had a few swirls on the surface Iím guessing weíre blues or Spanish but not my main target.
    Started off jigging metal with only a few hits and no connections.

Shortly after that moved a few time and still nothing. Decided to switch to a bucktail and gulp. Tried and true. Immediately I get a small BSB. Drop down and get a small Toad fish. We continue to catch a few more and finally a small flounder our True target species.
    We fished a bit more and moved again. The next move was further out about another half mile. We were in 53ft of water. 68-69degrees.

My girls relaxing by this point laying up on the bow and Iím still fishing just looking to snag a keeper.

2 weeks ago we did great on the BSB and gray trout with keepers and a lot of smalls. This trip was the opposite. All small and a lot of short strikes. Well we taking our time drifting and I get smashed as Iím jigging up. Almost like Iím snagged I set the hook and start reeling to get it up off the bottom with nothing but dead weight. And then it wakes up. Drag starts screening off my reel. Now Iím wondering what Iíve got. Maybe itís a small Cobia or grouper. I got a little nervous and put a half turn on the drag. Get a few more turn back I. Her and again screening drag. At this point Iím yelling babe grab the net this feels big!

She jumps up and grabs the net ready to go. Iím Telling her head first watch the line when it comes up. Well itís going under the boat now and I canít see it. I get a few more turns and get some color and again a steady pull of drag. Finally I get the fish out from under the boat and itís the biggest flounder Iíve ever seen. She come up and Iím saying my prayers sheís hooked good. She circles once and I ease her up towards the net. Babe head first In and lift out of the water and straight into the boat watch your toes!

She does a perfect net job and a 26in flounder is sitting in the deck of the boat with no bucktail in its mouth! The second she better it as always she spit the hook!

I couldnít believe the mass of this fish. We were so excited to have her in the boat we fished a bit more in that area with nothing and she ended up getting sea sick so we headed in. We went straight to Dudleyís to weight her and she topped the scales at 26in 21in girth and 6.10lbs!
    I feel blessed to have caught this fish and shared it with her.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Congratulations!! Great fish and report

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nickp likes this.

Nicely done!
    Nickp likes this.

Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

A nice flattie. That's one of the things I love about jigging the bottom. You just don't know what's going to ring the door bell.
    Nickp likes this.

Weíre coming to love it. Can run out on nice days and theirs just so much life out there. It all seems to taste good also!
    gofishn, and roostertail24 like this.

Nice catch. Congratulations!
    Nickp likes this.

Congrats , that's a nice fish
    Nickp likes this.

Congratulations!
    Nickp likes this.

One you'll remember. Congrats
    Nickp likes this.

I would not scare my pony on my boat out on the sea

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements