NC Angler Forums banner

Martin Marietta Park New Bern

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  bigbscheffner 
#1 ·
Anyone done any fishing in the big lake at the new Martin Marietta Park in New Bern? Always heard rumors that it holds some big fish. Walked around casting from shore today with no luck, there seemed to be a rather large flat off the shore and I couldn’t cast passed it. Saw some mullet jumping, birds diving, and large blow ups further than I can cast (assuming off of drop offs). Thinking of launching a kayak sooner or later. Any advice or first hand knowledge of what’s out there?

#9 ·
Looking to see if there is anyone fishing the lakes at Martin Marietta Park in New Bern.

It’s been officially open awhile. Seems like this could/should be a gold mine, but New Bern’s Park and Rec Department are not showing a lot of imagination in regard to developing a freshwater fishing hot spot.

I’ve seen LOTS of tiny bream in the shallows which is probably not a good sign. None have been able to take a size 12 floating spider. I have asked that Parks and Rec consider clearing spots down to the waters edge every couple hundred yards around the big lake, but they seem to think the so called "fishing piers" are sufficient.

Someone is fishing since a power line, to the left as you enter, is full of dozens of bobbers! Funny.

I feel this resource is way under used and under developed. Hoping someone is getting a better vibe.

#12 ·
if my YouTube forensics is correct one of the youtubers "fishkingz" has a video where he fished crappie in it in a kayak and you can make out his launch point by looking at google maps. not sure when the video was released but i don't think its been more than a few years so id imagine its still open. actually ran into the guy at NSS in Kinston super nice guy.

#14 ·
This last Thursday I fished the canal side at Martin Marietta park in New Bern from my boat, specifically for crappie. No crappie, but caught 5 giant yellow perch. Would have caught more of them, but for the dozen or more nuisance largemouth carp I couldn’t keep off my line. What a pain. Live minnows under stick bobbers.
Wished the park dept would put a boat ramp in on the lake side of that park. I know kayaks only on that side. Ever try fishing out of a kayak??? Royal pain! I know, they don’t want speed boats and jet skis. So limit boats to fishing boats only and 25 hp. Then, at least it would be fair.