NC Angler Forums banner

Which lake to go to: Randleman, High Rock, Oak Hollow or Thom-A-Lex?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  stripes 
#1 ·
I am looking to take my 6 year old this Saturday morning fishing down that way. Was wanting to get your advice on which lake I should go to. I will only be able to fish from about 7:30-11. I need to run over to Angler’s Choice before they close at 12pm. Do you recommend High Rock lake, Randleman (we live near Greensboro/High Point) or Thom-A-Lex? Just looking to do a little bass fishing.

Thanks for the help!!

Cassidy

#3 ·
I would definitely take Randleman over Thom-A-Lex, especially if you just want to get a kid catching a few fish. High Rock I can't speak to other than that if you don't know the lake it's not necessarily the easiest to just get on fish. Oak Hollow has some nice fish but it can be challenging if you don't know the lake. Randleman isn't the 'can't miss, always catch 30' phenom it was in its early days but I would still think it would be the best of the options.

#4 ·
I am looking to take my 6 year old this Saturday morning fishing down that way. Was wanting to get your advice on which lake I should go to. I will only be able to fish from about 7:30-11. I need to run over to Angler’s Choice before they close at 12pm. Do you recommend High Rock lake, Randleman (we live near Greensboro/High Point) or Thom-A-Lex? Just looking to do a little bass fishing.

Thanks for the help!!

Cassidy
I would recommend Lake Macintosh just South of Burlington, NC on I think Huffman Mill Rd. I go there often and good fishing there for gas and Non gas boats.

#5 ·
Thank you all! I actually ended up going to Thom-a-lex. I had to drop the boat off at angler's choice afterward, so that was the closest option. We got there early (7am) and there were already 15 boats on the lake. By the time we left (10:30), I'm not sure how many boats there were, but where we were fishing, I could have thrown a rock and hit 10 boats. It was insane. But somehow in all of that we were able to snag 5. One decent 3 pound bass and my son caught another 1 pound bass. All in all, it was a successful trip and he had a blast. Though I'm not sure I would go back...just due to how crowded it was. Took us 30 min to load boat due to how busy it was at the ramp. Oh and just FYI, the bridge on the lake is very low lol. Bout snapped all my rods, but luckily got them out of the holder right at the last second. I'm sure we provided entertainment to quite a few at that point. Ha. Well thanks again for the recommendations! Sounds like it was good that I didn't go to High Rock. I'll have to try Randleman though! I've heard good things

#9 ·
Go to Mcantosh!! Anything but randleman lake!!! All these fishing tournaments on it has killed the fishing on it!! I live over here next to it!! All the people over here call it **** lake!! Fish all day might only catch 1 maybe 3! Was good at first, not anymore!!

#12 ·
As has been stated by those who still do well on Randleman, it's not that the lake 'sucks' so much as it is that the lake has matured - the shoreline wood cover has mostly rotted out and the fishing has changed... the anglers who have adapted still do well there, but you can't just go out there and throw a spinnerbait at the bank all day and catch 30 bass like you could when it first opened.

Tournaments are annoying at Randleman, because they make the lake more crowded, but even I have had to admit that tournament fishing (as much disdain as I have for it) has really probably not been that much of a factor at Randleman. I used to think that too, but a logical and coherent argument has been made that it's more about the changing nature of the lake than it is about tournament pressure. Lots of lakes have far more and bigger tournaments than Randleman and still have fish in them.

Reactions: Bleedingblue
#14 ·
I'll plug for Oak Hollow but you have to get there before the skiers or late after they leave. Windy days are not as bad it kind of reduces the number of skiers somewhat. Work the air lines on the bottom for cats and hybrids and mid depth for bass and crappie. By July its kind of over though as the water heats up. On a plus note they are open until 10 pm on Thursday

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.