Slack line, spec trout question

Thread: Slack line, spec trout question

Default Slack line, spec trout question

Friday using a Sam's Gitter (2 little bucktails) tipped with shrimp, I caught 50+ junk fish, 8 trout with 4 being keepers 15-16". What seemed strange was that every good trout caught occurred when the line was slack and the rig was sitting on the bottom. I couldn't get a trout to hit the moving bait. All were caught in 4 to 6ft of water, both in marsh and in open water. Any thoughts on why this would be? Fishing from pier and kayak, different spots w the same results.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel999 View Post
    Friday using a Sam's Gitter (2 little bucktails) tipped with shrimp, I caught 50+ junk fish, 8 trout with 4 being keepers 15-16". What seemed strange was that every good trout caught occurred when the line was slack and the rig was sitting on the bottom. I couldn't get a trout to hit the moving bait. All were caught in 4 to 6ft of water, both in marsh and in open water. Any thoughts on why this would be? Fishing from pier and kayak, different spots w the same results.
    Just how they wanted it that day. They often hit most baits on the pause when they are just suspended, falling, or sitting on bottom. All predators try to expend as little energy as possible when feeding. That's why every bait is designed or fished to look like wounded prey. It can't run away and is an easy meal.

It also depends on the time of the day. Once the sun comes up trout drop down to the bottom and aren't as active. Also we are in a full moon so they also could be feeding at night and spawning.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Do you fish for trout any different with a full moon... and greater tidal change

What Mumbo said. That's what Z-Man designed the Trout-Trick lure for. They usually (usually) work best sitting right on the bottom. Twitch or wiggle every now and then. Their Ned Rig jig heads work well for that. Same thing with a stand-up jig head. I can remember a few years back on Emerald Isle (back when you could actually catch a trout on Emerald Isle) where the only thing they'd hit was a grub on a jig head, dead sticked on the bottom. That pattern lasted for several days.

It makes sense to me because our last trip to the OBX, the most Trout I caught were on a supremely focused SLOW retrieve. My retrieve pattern was like "twitch twitch sit......sit.....sit....sit....sit...sit.....(10-15 seconds)...reel up slack line, twitch twitch sit....sit...sit...sit...

Good info, thanks

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements