NC Angler Forums banner

Mop Flies

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  The Mad Duck 
#1 ·
Anyone out there have any experience using a Mop Fly? I finally got around to tying a few,using a #12 Curved skud hook, a brass bead, a small amount of hackle right behind the bead and a nub from a car wash mitt made of microfiber chenille. I an pretty happy with the results and cant wait to get one of these in front of some fish.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
OK, I got the Mop Flies in front of some fish this past weekend. As a matter of fact, I couldn't keep the fish off of the Mop Fly. I caught a ton of Bream on these flies last weekend. Even this Warmouth felt like he needed to have this fly. Note that the fly is 3/4 of an inch to an inch long. This little fella isnt much bigger than the fly.

Attachments

#7 ·
Mop flies work. Cream colored ones especially, in our mountains. They also make a good anchor in a 2 nymph rig; wired stones make pretty good companions to a mop fly...just saying...especially dredged in deeper, darker feeding runs...once they get soaked, they'll get down into the slower bottom currents (laminar flow boundary), and will move much slower than the currents above. You can take advantage of that...

#12 ·
Ok, The Mopper Popper was a success. It has a really funky stance in the water. I tied them on soft foam popper bodies about the size of the end of your pinky finger. When the mop soaks up water,it stands the popper almost straight up and down in the water. All the takes I had today (and that was a LOT of takes) were pretty solid. There were a few smallish fish that just pushed the fly around (we were Bream fishing),but the real takes were pretty violent. The chartreuse color stayed on my rod, all day. I also caught fish on the Mop with the copper bead head as well. I cant WAIT to get these in front of some trout in a couple of weeks!!!

#15 ·
Thats going to be a bit. I managed to crush my pinky finger yesterday. I spent most of yesterday getting it stitched back together. I have two trips next week,one for Smallmouth and one for Trout. Both of those trips may get put on hold depending on what the Dr says on my follow up visit tomorrow. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.