Rhodhiss: Full moon stripers

Thread: Rhodhiss: Full moon stripers

Default Rhodhiss: Full moon stripers

After a long day of installing the new trolling motor, running wires, batteries, and getting the boat and trailer just right; I pulled up to the ramp just as the full moon was rising. The glowing moon was a glorious site and I was eager with anticipation. This was only my second trip this spring and I was stoked to be getting out.

Rigged, ready, and bait tank full, I gun it to my sweet spot. As I approach the hole, shut the motor down and troll in close, the sonor lights up with arches and it sounds like I am at Dolly Worlds splash park. I am shakin , palms sweating and pumped as I get the rods in the water. I slow troll to the drop off where there is alwaysa fish waiting to ambush. I look over at the landmark for a visual confirmation that tells me to get ready and immediatly fish on in the exact same spot every time. But I mean %#^$**, ^%&^%, &&^^, fish on. My rod is pinned to the rod holder with line screaming off. Its that oh so sweat, souding sound, that we dream about while at work. I ease off the drag slightly to get the rod out of the holder and it feels so powerful. I mean... I haven't felt something pull like this since, last summer while deep sea fishing. My knees start to shake and I instantly start begging the universe to let me land this fish. The fish starts to pull the boat up river, around in circles so fast I get dizzy...nah not really it was dark and I was in the current going down the lake. But it felt like being pulled up river. I fight the fish for an hour or two (10, 12 mins). I see my weight, swivel and with a 6ft. leader I know I am about to get a glimpse of the fish. And just like that she/he was gone hooked pulled. But what a way to start 2 days of incredible action and to keep me addicted. The bite did slow most of the next morning until they started pulling water again. It never fails, so check the time for **** release to increase your success.

I only caught fish on down lines and weighted flat lines. I know other fishermen caught some on planer boards, but not me. I did pull them, but stopped after I saw a pattern. Fish were caught anywhere there was a drop off, or the end of a hole. I didn't catch any in the flats, on artifical, or pitching shad behind timber. Most were caught on trout and only a couple on shad.
    bfishy, and satguy like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Awesome deal. Glad you got into some fish. I hit hickory Saturday am. Bait was scattered. Took close to 1.5hrs to catch ten. Went fishing towards dam. Caught one about 830 on planner board. Only one other hit. Lots of boats up there. Seen some others catch a few as well.

Hope to make it our Friday night for an all nighter. We'll see how luck plays for me this week. Text me if you want to jump in with me for the night.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sounds good. Let me see how the week goes, but I think I will be able to jump in with ya. You bring the boat I will bring the bait.

I had a heck of a time finding shad as well. I think I need a 10ft. net to get at those deeper bait balls. I think the 8ft. is kind of closing up by the time it gets down to them. I will send you a text later this week.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Where do you get your trout from?
    Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

Cantrell trout farm in Brevard. .77 cents a piece, 5-7 inches, with a minimum purchase of $50.00. ( about 57 trout)
    There is another trout farm same area that is $1.50 with no min.

man id love to learn how to fish for striper, i gotta get on that.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements