Do we have to carry flares on our boats?

Thread: Do we have to carry flares on our boats?

Hybrid View

Default Do we have to carry flares on our boats?

I just bought a new Tracker Pro Guide 175WT and sold my Sea Fox center console.....and when I sold the center console, I forgot and left all of the safety equipment in it.....heck I LEFT EVERYTHING in it. Anchor, rope, PFDs, safety equipment, etc.

So I'm having to restock this new boat.

I got the PFD's, got the throw cushion, got a whistle, and got a new fire extinguisher.

I have a question about flares or "visual distress signal" as listed on the NC Wildlife website......it's not exactly clear if it's an actual requirement or a suggestion.

Also aside from ensuring I have the right type of PFD, throwable, extinguisher, and a whistle is there anything else I am overlooking?

I'm getting new anchor and dock rope. I'll also probably get a 1st aid kit.

This is straight from the USCG Aux who did a vessel safety check for me last month (free):
    - current boat registration
    - nav lights anchor light, & horn working condition
    - appropriate size PFD for every person aboard (child/adult)
    - throwable
    - whistle
    - fire ext not expired
    - first aid kit
    - VHF working correctly if you have one
    - copy of the Nav rules/regs (I have it as an app, he didn't argue)
    - Flares highly recommended if staying inshore, flares required if you go out of the Inlet (words straight from them)
    highcj5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by blueoceaneyez View Post
    This is straight from the USCG Aux who did a vessel safety check for me last month (free):
    - current boat registration
    - nav lights anchor light, & horn working condition
    - appropriate size PFD for every person aboard (child/adult)
    - throwable
    - whistle
    - fire ext not expired
    - first aid kit
    - VHF working correctly if you have one
    - copy of the Nav rules/regs (I have it as an app, he didn't argue)
    - Flares highly recommended if staying inshore, flares required if you go out of the Inlet (words straight from them)

You're the man, thanks so much for posting this!

4. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

My understanding is that flares are only required when boating on Federally controlled waters. Having a daytime visual distress device, like a reflective mirror or blank CD, is a good idea and when safety checked they usually give you a blank CD if you do not have one.

Federally controlled waters are confusing too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	0C53867F-0B20-4A8E-9542-09877183AB72.jpg‎
Views:	146
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	194543
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Jackson Coosa FD, Native Ultimate 14.5, CCA Member

It's a good idea to have something additional in the first aid kit for sea sickness. The kits never seem to have enough meds for sea sickness, and I forget to add sometimes when I trade boats.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishscalz View Post
    It's a good idea to have something additional in the first aid kit for sea sickness. The kits never seem to have enough meds for sea sickness, and I forget to add sometimes when I trade boats.
    I've never seen any med wise that would help once you are sea sick, at least not otc. A very quick means of relief is,,, get in the water. I know that's the last place a sick person wants to be, but it does help.

The wrist bead bracelets work for me if I don't take a preemptive dose of seasick meds , ear patches work for some of my fishing friends.

One of my favorite expressions about being seasick:

"At first you are afraid you will die, then you are afraid you won't."

Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

If its federally controlled water, you are required by the USCG to have day and nighttime distress signals aboard. Does not matter if inshore or offshore.

Also, since horns don’t always work, the whistle is a wise idea. I keep one on the key fob for my outboard and another tied to the compass. In addition, the throwable device (such as a cushion) is required to be readily accessible (not in a compartment). The Coasties pointed that out to me when they were doing random boardings in the ICW several years ago. In years past, you had to have a working bilge pump or some other way to bail. A small plastic bucket works wonders. If one fire extinguisher is good, three are better. That way, if a wasp has built a nest in the barrel of one or if one goes south and doesn’t have the arrow in the good zone, you have back up. And if you actually have a fire, I want plenty of stuff to help put it out. I understand the official fire extinguisher needs to be mounted on. The boat in an appropriate bracket. Just a few tips from many years of boating. Whitefish 115