DMF- Public Comments on Southern Flounder FMP Amendment 2 are Requested

Thread: DMF- Public Comments on Southern Flounder FMP Amendment 2 are Requested

Default DMF- Public Comments on Southern Flounder FMP Amendment 2 are Requested

I encourage everyone to take the time to fill out the survey. If you have time to attend on Monday, June 3 please go to the meeting in Morehead City.

DMF Announcement of the meeting-
    http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf//nr-...under-comments

Where you can find reading material if you have insomnia-
    http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/southern-flounder-topic

The actual survey-
    http://survey.constantcontact.com/su...prkj/questions

If the survey link doesn't work click on the southern-flounder-topic link above and then click on the Submit Public Comment link at the bottom of the page.

The Division is recommending-

• A 62% reduction in harvest for 2019
    • A 72% reduction in harvest in 2020 and until Amendment 3 is finalized.
    • Allow Additional Measures to Contain Effort so that "Derby Fishing" doesn't blow through the reductions.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I tried wading through this for about 30 minutes. I have a couple of degrees, and am still not sure what I read. I think
    the four fish limit per day and 15 inch length is still in place. For 2019 it looks like we are going to see flounder season closed immediately whenever this amendment is passed, and then for hook and line re-opened from 8-1 through 9-30. For 2020, a shorter season from 9-15 to 10-11. I think!

Commercial, gill net, and gigging have different seasons.

I hope we will see a clearer explanation...if someone sees different than I did don’t hesitate to correct me.
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris52 View Post
    I tried wading through this for about 30 minutes. I have a couple of degrees, and am still not sure what I read. I think
    the four fish limit per day and 15 inch length is still in place. For 2019 it looks like we are going to see flounder season closed immediately whenever this amendment is passed, and then for hook and line re-opened from 8-1 through 9-30. For 2020, a shorter season from 9-15 to 10-11. I think!

Commercial, gill net, and gigging have different seasons.

I hope we will see a clearer explanation...if someone sees different than I did don’t hesitate to correct me.
    I think you're pretty close. The commercial sector should close after 48-hours notice and then re-open per the season dates below by sector. The recreational sector will remain open as it will be within the proposed open season dates- the MFC meeting is scheduled for Aug 21 - 23.

The Division is recommending that the Supplement settlement agreement terms remain in effect, which are a universal 15" size limit, 6.0" inside stretched mesh minimum size limit for gillnets and 5.75" inside stretched mesh minimum size limit for pound net escape panels.

The Division is then recommending a two step reduction based on seasonal closures- 62% in 2019 and 72% in 2020 until the stock is recovered or until Amendment 3 is completed, which the Division will start on immediately.

For the commercial sector, the Division is breaking down seasons into three geographic areas- Northern, Central, Southern-

The open season commercial harvest days by sector are-

Northern – Sept. 15 through Oct. 13
    Central – Sept. 15 through Oct. 17
    Southern – Sept. 15 through Nov. 2

2020 and forward
    Northern – Sept. 15 through Oct. 6
    Central – Sept 15 through Oct. 11
    Southern – Sept 15 through Oct. 20

For the recreational sector the open harvest seasons are-

Aug. 1 through Sept. 30 recreational hook-and-line and gig fishery.
    Recreational Commercial Gear License (RCGL) large mesh gill nets to operate from Sept. 15 through Sept. 30.

2020 and forward
    Aug. 16 through Sept. 30 recreational hook-and-line and gig fishery
    RCGL large mesh gill nets to operate from Sept. 15 through Sept. 30

What is extremely positive is that the Division has made it clear that commercial gears that interact with Southern Flounder will have to be removed from the water once the season is over.

This will be a huge benefit to red drum and striped bass-

Additionally, it is necessary to remove all commercial gears from the water (e.g., commercial and RCGL anchored large mesh gill nets, gigs, and flounder pound nets) in areas and during times outside of the seasons implemented. This is important, as any additional dead discards will negatively impact expected reductions in discards during periods not open for southern flounder harvest and further delay rebuilding of the stock. Exceptions can be allowed for commercial large mesh gill net fisheries that target American and hickory shad and catfish species if these fisheries are only allowed to operate during times of the year and locations where bycatch of southern flounder is unlikely.

The potential downside will be the unintended consequences of addition effort in the anchored small net and strike net fisheries.

There is no doubt that something has to be done for Southern Flounder. I personally don't like across the board cuts being placed equally on the commercial and recreational sector, but it is what the Division feels they can accomplish under Admendment 2.

The Commission needs to address several inequities during the Amendment 3 process-

The biggest is that the recreational sector took a 33% reduction in 2017 when our Southern Flounder limit was reduced from 6 fish to 4 fish. That reduction had nothing to do with Southern flounder management. It was to meet the management needs of Summer Flounder. NC doesn't ask recreational anglers to distinguish between the two species, so they lowered the limit on both.

The recreational sector should get credit for that two fish (33%) reduction. The easier way to do that is to have the commercial sector take a 33% reduction before calculating across the board cuts that in total equal 72%.

The other issue that NC needs to address is harvest equity. Founder is the #1 species targeted by the recreational sector. It's a valuable fishery to the state and those states south of us. Allocations need to be reviewed-

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southern Flounder Management Areas.jpg‎ 
Views:	119 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	194597   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southern Flounder Removals by State.jpg‎ 
Views:	105 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	194599  
    Chris52 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

ummm, pretty sure that reducing the bag limit from 6 per day to 4 per days has not a thing to do with actual reduction. Very few recs even catch 6 legal sized flounder in the first place and very few recs will catch 4 legal flounder per day either. Just a few recs will actually see a reduction. The short season will have a big impact though on both recs and commercials even though unlike commercials recs can still be allowed to catch flounder during the long closed season which they will all release of course.

Quote Originally Posted by coresounder View Post
    ummm, pretty sure that reducing the bag limit from 6 per day to 4 per days has not a thing to do with actual reduction. Very few recs even catch 6 legal sized flounder in the first place and very few recs will catch 4 legal flounder per day either. Just a few recs will actually see a reduction. The short season will have a big impact though on both recs and commercials even though unlike commercials recs can still be allowed to catch flounder during the long closed season which they will all release of course.
    That is a valid point. The actual reduction wasn't 33% across all recreational anglers, giggers and netters, only for those who routinely landed a limit of six fish. There was a reduction.

The Division is having trouble with the website linked above that provides information and allows for public comment. The Department has provided an alternative website-

https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/m...nder-amendment

Quote Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
    The Division is having trouble with the website linked above that provides information and allows for public comment. The Department has provided an alternative website-

https://deq.nc.gov/about/divisions/m...nder-amendment
    thank you for keeping us informed and for this additional contact information!
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

The Division continues to have major website issues. The links below are good, but will not work when the Division website is experiencing downtime.

This morning the Division released information for the Special MFC Meeting on June 6th-

MEDIA ADVISORY: Marine Fisheries Commission to meet June 6 to discuss southern flounder
    MOREHEAD CITY –The N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission will meet June 6 at 1 p.m. at The Beaufort Hotel, 2440 Lennoxville Road, Beaufort, to discuss proposed southern flounder management measures.The agenda includes a 1 ˝-hour public comment period at the beginning of the meeting. Members of the public may speak to the commission on Draft Amendment 2 to the Southern Flounder Fishery Management Plan. The chairman will allow each speaker to comment for three minutes on a first-come basis until time is up. Doors will open at noon.The public may listen to the meeting on the Internet. Up to 200 participants may listen to audio and view presentations in real-time on a first-come basis. Directions for participating in the webcast, including information on system requirements and testing, can be foundhere.Following the meeting, an audio recording will be posted online.The commission is scheduled to consider all public and advisory committee input, select its preferred management options inDraft Amendment 2 to the Southern Flounder Fishery Management Plan, and send the draft plan for departmental and legislative review.Southern flounder is one of three main species of flounder landed on the North Carolina coast. The other two species are summer flounder and Gulf flounder.Draft Amendment 2 to the Southern Flounder Fishery Management Plan contains options for several seasonal harvest closure scenarios to achieve up to a 72% reduction in southern flounder harvest for the commercial and recreational fishing sectors. Additionally, at the request of the Marine Fisheries Commission, the draft amendment includes an option for a partial moratorium.Options for non-quantifiable management measures to constrain effort, such as yardage and time restrictions for gill nets and daily harvest limits for pound nets and gigs, are included in the draft amendment as well.The commission is scheduled to give final approval of the draft amendment in August so that the management measures can be implemented by proclamation before this fall.
    WHO: N.C. Marine Fisheries Commission
    WHAT: Select preferred management measures in
    Draft Amendment 2 to the Southern Flounder Fishery Management Plan
    WHEN: June 6 at 1 p.m.
    WHERE: The Beaufort Hotel
    2440 Lennoxville Road, Beaufort
    Link to live stream: http://portal.ncdenr.org/web/mf/listen-online

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements