NC Angler Forums banner

shore or dock fishing in Manteo?

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  samhanny97 
#1 ·
Going down to Manteo next weekend for a Tuna charter trip out of the Oregon Inlet. Since we're doing that I'm going to avoid the hassle of pulling my skiff down and just try my luck with some shore/dock or possibly some kayak fishing.

We're staying on Shallowbag bay, but I'm unfamiliar with the area. Does anyone have some suggestions for some places to fish from shore or a dock? I'll possibly throw my kayak on the roof but nobody else in my group has one.

Thanks!

#2 ·
There is a boat ramp at the entrance to Festival Park, next to the Tranquil House Inn. That would be a good place to launch the yak, and then paddle under the bridge and out toward the Bay. Depending on the wind (!) you can head out around the marsh ( to the left ). There are docks and piers to the right, but the locals may not be too happy if you start flipping baits around.

Do a Google Maps view of the area to get your bearings. Search Tranquil House Inn or 1587 Restaurant, and you will easily see the boat ramp and parking lot. You have another option...from the boat ramp, go slightly left and across to a pretty wide channel through the marsh. That will take you around to the bay without having to dodge boat traffic that may be approaching the docks.

Be sure to get a sandwich from Poor Richards there on the waterfront.

#3 ·
Oops...one or two more options if you want to dock/pier fish. Underneath the big bridge that goes over to Nags Head, there is another boat ramp with an adjacent fishing pier. Then as you go over the smaller causeway bridge there are catwalks to fish from. Finally, you could just go all the way in to Nags head and fish at Jeannette’s Pier.

If you have kids with you go to the aquarium by the rest area.

#4 ·
There are docks and piers to the right, but the locals may not be too happy if you start flipping baits around.

People fish around my dock, I fish around docks. Have not seen anything obnoxious and I am considerate when fishing other docks. I saw a video of a crazy, screaming woman squirting a fisherman with a hose from her dock, she said she owned the water around it. Lonely, or abandoned docks with lots of barnacles are best.

#5 ·
Phil...most of the docks in the area of the Manteo waterfront I was referring to are commercial. They are either part of a marina, or folks are running kayak charter, sightseeing charters, para-sail, etc. Like you, I fish docks too—and very frequently—just not where folks are trying to do business. That’s all I was saying.

Reactions: philjam
#9 ·
Good luck. Just got back from Manteo last week end and trout were hitting off the little bridge right at day break.....which is EARLY in the OBX b/c there are no trees or anything obstruct daylight coming up over the ocean. So civil light actually starts earlier than 6am there.

Believe it or not though, we had better luck casting off the Nags Head Pier near the surf line last week. Were catching blues, trout, and even flounder on white gulp mullet curly tails.

Also if you're going to go to the little bridge take a bottom rig and catch a pinfish on a piece of worm/squid/shrimp and then throw the pinfish out on big hook and a bobber.

Lastly, there's a new kayak launch under the Washington bridge on the Pirates Cove side.

#10 ·
Piers and shore

The public access piers under the bridge between Roanoke Island and Nags head works. All of the piers in downtown Manteo are open. Wading or kayaking behind Bodie Island Lighthouse. Some wading in the sound from the Nags Head side of the sound. And then there is the entire ocean front.

#11 ·
The public access piers under the bridge between Roanoke Island and Nags head works. All of the piers in downtown Manteo are open. Wading or kayaking behind Bodie Island Lighthouse. Some wading in the sound from the Nags Head side of the sound. And then there is the entire ocean front.
Thanks! when you say all of the piers downtown are open, you mean you can just walk on and fish?

#12 ·
Have the same question but for fly fishing! Hoping to catch some specks on the fly this weekend. Is there a nice grass flat somewhere or a deep channel that I can reach on foot with chest waders? The truck broke down and won't be able to tow my boat down, so hoping to find a honey-hole that's walkable. Many thanks, ya'll!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.