Save time going to the store for another bag of ice.

Thread: Save time going to the store for another bag of ice.

Default Save time going to the store for another bag of ice.

I’m sure if you can afford a boat out on the lake for a weekend you can certainly afford to buy a bag of ice for the cooler every day you are on the lake. But do you have to?

Take two of the really heavy-duty construction trash bags you can get at Lowe’s or Home Depot, put one inside the other, then put them both into your cooler and trim them off about 8 to 12 inches above the top of the cooler. Save the trimmings.

Take one of the trimmings (there will be two) and fold it so it covers the bottom of the cooler. Take the other trimming and put it in between the two bags you have just trimmed.

Then place whatever you want in the cooler and spread your ice out. Take your ice right up to the edge of the cooler and carefully fold the trash bags over so there is a pretty good seal and close the cooler tightly. If you have to trim a little more bag…ok. You might have to take some ice out….but the cooler needs to be able to close shut tightly.

We have gotten 3 solid days of use out of a 10 lb bag of ice regularly. If you fold closed the bags carefully each time you open the cooler and make sure you have a tightly closed lid you should be golden.

Like I said, it isn’t going to save you a fortune, but it will keep you have having to hit the store for another bag of ice before getting out on the lake!
    The great thing about excruciating pain......at least you know you are still alive.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I only buy ice at the store if I am travelling and staying somewhere that doesn't have an ice machine. I use ice out of the freezer at home and freeze small containers of water or water bottles in the summer to add some life. Meets my needs of keeping enough drinks for the day cold.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

i generally keep a couple of milk jugs frozen as well as my water bottles which I refill and freeze. Last surprisingly well in a moulded cooler.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thank you for the tip Sir
    Red X Angler

I take Tupperware type rectangle containers..... (The cheap food lion ones with purple or blue lid.) Fill those with water and put them in the freezer. It makes perfect blocks of ice that last a long time. I just pop the ice out of the container When Im back cleaning the boat I dont have to deal with bottles or jugs to wash and refreeze or throw away. I just chunk the ice in to the yard to melt. I then fill up the ones I used and refreeze for next trip. It will take about 2 days for them to freeze solid. If I have a bag of loose ice or I happen to stop by a store I will pick up bag of loose just to even out he ice The solid will help the loose ice last longer and can coat fish better then the blocks. .

Or get some old bread baking pans, fill them (not all the way to the top, of course), freeze them. The ice from a large pan and the ice from a small pan will fit in a gal. Ziplock bag. I make a batch of them. I do rinse them off after a day on the water and have to replace them after about 4 trips (melting, leaky bags, etc.). But I have a whole batch of them so I always have enough to keep my coolers cold. I have used old large soda bottle but like. The bread pans better.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements