Tarpon 120 Value

Thread: Tarpon 120 Value

Default Tarpon 120 Value

Hey fellow yakkers,

I have a lead on a used 2013 Tarpon that is in really good shape. It hasn't been modified and has, according to the owner, only been used 2 times. The new one's (2019) are running around $807 at Get Outdoors. They are asking $625 for this boat. What do
    y'all think? Good value or not?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	Tarpon120.jpg‎
Views:	266
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	194595

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Only used twice so should be like new. Also take in to account you won’t pay any sales tax. Make an offer for less but still sounds good to me unless there were some big changes made in the last 3 years.
    ~JOE~
    Shakespeare likes this.

Solo Dei Gloria

I would be in the $500-$550 range on that boat... It's nice, but it is 6 years old... Paying much more than 2/3 of new would be overpaying, in my opinion, unless there are extras (paddle, vest, etc) thrown in. Assuming it was stored in garage, your straps may have some hidden dry rot, your elastic may be losing some bounce, and your gaskets on the hatches may need replaced to ensure watertight seals. I believe the seat in the new version is a big improvement over this older one as well.

That said, make up your own mind... I gave you my answer, but I'm not the man in the market for a yak this year. If you are, you may find this works for you at this time.
    Shakespeare likes this.

After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks Joetrain and biglenr.

I did forget to mention that a Harmony Drifter paddle (aluminum) is included, but that's only a $50 value (MSRP), so I'm not even factoring that into the decision.

I'm thinking the same thing about the age and depreciation but I have no clue how much that devalues a boat so your suggestion biglenr is very helpful. For $200 more I can have a brand new one and yes Joetrain, I'd have to pay the tax on top of that.

The seller's ad has been out there over a month now so perhaps everyone else is thinking the price is a little high.
    biglenr likes this.

Attend GetOutdoors demo days. They usually issue 10-15% discount to attendees. They also offer military discount. Or check their discounted section for last years leftovers. Several makes use the Tarpon mold and are similar. Perception Pescador for example.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Shakespeare likes this.

That hull is being sold as the Perception Pescador now at a lower price. West Marine also sells it as the Pompano and they have flash sales, mostly on Sundays with very low prices.
    Shakespeare likes this.

I wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their opinions. The bad news is I had a sudden dental emergency that pretty much ate up all my kayak money. The Craig's List posting has since been removed. I guess things worked out the way they were supposed to. However, I just picked up two Pelican Boost 100 Angler edition kayaks and paddles at a very good value of $100 each. As a disclaimer, I would have never given these boats a second look because they fall on the side of being "cheap" but I couldn't pass on the price. The boats are in excellent condition but I need to throw a few bucks at them for a seat upgrade, some side handles, and perhaps a storage hatch. They will make good secondary boats for letting friends use on our excursions.

Note that both boats are the same size. For some reason the picture makes one look longer than the other.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	PelicanBoost100_001.jpg‎
Views:	89
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	194861
    biglenr likes this.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements