Calderwood 5/26

Thread: Calderwood 5/26

Default Calderwood 5/26

Had a bad start to heading to the lake blew a tire one mile from the boat ramp, didnt have my spare hour and a half each way to get one. got that fixed and got on the water. spent a couple hours on the water and the bigger boys started biting..... then the boat started taking on water. found out a rivet came out of the hull. Girlfriend still caught the biggest trout she can remember catching a 19" brown and i caught a 17.5" rainbow. shes not letting me live that down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	61065050_10214547998001735_5060787946588733440_n.jpg‎
Views:	143
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	194601 Click image for larger version.

Name:	61365734_10214547998201740_8389597487450554368_n.jpg‎
Views:	140
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	194603
    bfishy, Fishscalz, and gambusia like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Mind sharing what half of the lake you found them in? I may hit there in a week or so. Been a few years since I fished it. I always end up fishing Cheoah instead.

Just to let people know Tennessee adopted NC's fishing limits for Calderwood Lake this year since the ramp is in NC.

Didn't really matter for trout (7 fish limit for both states) but if you catch a walleye or crappie or something else, NC's limits apply
    bfishy, and loganwayne like this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gambusia View Post
    Just to let people know Tennessee adopted NC's fishing limits for Calderwood Lake this year since the ramp is in NC.

Didn't really matter for trout (7 fish limit for both states) but if you catch a walleye or crappie or something else, NC's limits apply
    Is there walleye in the lake? I assumed there was a few due to everything around it having some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The odds of catching a limit of anything other than Trout in Calderwood are as remote as winning a million dollars in lottery. The only species that one might have a chance at would be Smallmouth. There's a slight population of 'em down near the dam.

Yellow perch or rock bass

Yellow perch or rock bass

I've never caught a Yellow Perch worth keeping in Calderwood. They run very small. I once caught a 14" Perch there that had a girth of a medium sized cigar. It couldn't have weighed even a half-pound. A 14" Perch in most places will weigh about a pound and a bit more if it's female. This pitiful Perch looked like it suffered from anorexia....but not by choice as in Humans!
    gambusia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bfishy View Post
    Mind sharing what half of the lake you found them in? I may hit there in a week or so. Been a few years since I fished it. I always end up fishing Cheoah instead.
    The fish are randomly scattered all over the lake. I've caught more larger fish down near the dam but there's usually lots of average sized Rainbows in the first mile below Slickrock Creek, the large creek on the left, just around the bend from the ramp.
    bfishy, and gambusia like this.

I haven't fished that lake since I have learned to fish the area better. I may give it a whirl this year. Cheoah is closer, but Calderwood feels more secluded and I am hoping the slightly warmer water grows trout faster. I am still trying to break the 20" mark.

Trout up to 16 pounds have been documented from Calderwood

Trout up to 16 pounds have been documented from Calderwood
    I've had about a half-dozen folks from Tallassee, TN have told me that the, once state record, 23 pound Brown that hung in Hoss Holt's store and boat ramp on the Little T, pre-Tellico Lake, was caught by his wife June in Calderwood. He told everybody it was caught in the Little T to promote his business. True or not, there really were giants like that in the Little T back then. I saw somebody hook one that had to be over 30 pounds but Chilhowee wasn't Generating and he had no chance to land it in the low, slow water. That 23 pounder would of been much easier to boat in Calderwood than the river. I tend to believe folks about the Holt's Brown.

The biggest Brown that I've landed in Calderwood was an even 5 pounds but I lost one down near the dam about 5 years ago that wold of gone 8-10 pounds.I got it close enough to get a good look at it before it pulled off. It hit a gold Rapala on a lead-core line running at about 40 feet. I was trolling on electric. When it's calm enough, I like to troll the lower lake on electric. The Browns are wary and it increases your chances at a big one.
    gambusia likes this.

I find it more believeable a 23 pound trout came from a tailwater (and what folks claim was the best tailwater in the eastern US) but either way, once a brown gets big enough it can eat the stocked rainbows

It was one of the best tailwaters around back then. It had less competition because oxygen injectors had not been installed on the big dams yet. Chilhowee and Apalachia were the only great tailwaters back then. The big dams spit out cold, dead water. The Little T was so good that I had to net an 18 and 15 pound Brown for a fishing buddy....he caught those two in a row. I felt shortchanged! I caught a couple that were over 7 pounds but had to endure netting quite a few huge ones for fishing partners.

Talking about chasing Rainbows, one trip I was pulling in a 14" Rainbow and a Brown struck it. It left teeth marks on it's back. The big ones strike their quarry to injure and stun it, then they line 'em up to swallow them head first. The Brown that looked to be 15-20 pounds stopped after striking my pitiful, little fish and swam 360 degrees around the boat, checking us out and went on it's way. The water was low and the big boy was leaving a wake that we could see when it went through shallow spots. We continued to see it's wake downstream of us for some while as it, apparently, chased small Trout.

Tellico Lake destroyed a major tourist industry.....
    gambusia likes this.

16. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements