Stupid question....no siphon bubble on my new motor's fuel line??

Thread: Stupid question....no siphon bubble on my new motor's fuel line??

Default Stupid question....no siphon bubble on my new motor's fuel line??

I just took ownership of a 2019 Tracker V hull which has a 115hp Mercury on it.

Got it all prepped up, took it to the ramp, dumped it in and.....went to prime the fuel line....but....I can't find the dang bubble.

I ended up turning the ignition key and it fired right up. Every time since then (about a week now, 3-4 trips) I've just had to turn the key and it fires right up.

I've followed the fuel line into the hull, I've looked in the various storage compartments around the transom, I opened a small circular plastic screw-on hatch that gives access down to the bilge pump area and for the life of me I cannot find a bubble to squeeze to prime the motor.

Does 2019 technology not need this feature or am I just stupid and need not seeing the squeeze bubble????

I feel like I'm going crazy or something.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

This is new to me. I have a 09 Yamaha with the bubble, but normally never pump it. Maybe it's something with the fuel pumps being electric or something like that? Hopefully someone that knows more can answer. Very interesting though.

Their advertising talks about a ‘new, precise, fuel induction system’. As opposed to injection​? More power to you, if you don’t have to prime the engine, or clear the fuel line, anymore!
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I ran a 250 direct injection motor for 10 years and never pumped the ball unless I just changed fuel filters or ran a tank dry. Running a 250 4 stroke now and never pumped it. Both fire off with no issues. Maybe inquire with your dealer to see if it should have had one but doubt you have anything to worry about if it is injected or 4 stroke.
    meenyt likes this.

Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Not trying to hijack the thread, But can Neilslure give me some advice on changing the fuel filter? I'm talking about the fuel/water separator. How do you change it without spilling fuel everywhere? Also do you need to prime it once replaced? Mine is in a very bad spot and I will be spilling fuel all in the bilge. I have looked at videos showing how to do it, just not sure I will need to drain the old to look for water like some of those do. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by meenyt View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, But can Neilslure give me some advice on changing the fuel filter? I'm talking about the fuel/water separator. How do you change it without spilling fuel everywhere? Also do you need to prime it once replaced? Mine is in a very bad spot and I will be spilling fuel all in the bilge. I have looked at videos showing how to do it, just not sure I will need to drain the old to look for water like some of those do. Thanks.
    Not sure this will work without seeing it, but I use a milk jug or Clorox bottle with the top cut off to catch any spilled gas. Fill the new filter about three quarters full when installing and priming may not be needed.
    meenyt likes this.

2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

My separator is up under the back gunwale and hard to to get to. On a Yamaha it is just like an oil filter on a car. It is going to have fuel in it when you open it up dont think you can get it out without spilling a little. I would usually fill the replacement filter about 1/2 way before I screwed it on and then pump the bulb once it was on. You might get a little sputter the first minute or two but good to go after that. I would always idle it an extra minute or two the first time out just to be sure. As far as gas in the bilge, I would just hose it out and air it out.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

I have a 2006 optimax and a 2017 50 hp and I never use the bubble.

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements