Have you ever?

Thread: Have you ever?

Default Have you ever?

Have you ever sat down to tie a fly that was in your head,only to have, the thread break,the eyes keep rolling, the material stick to your fingers,the material lay completely wrong,the thread break again,the press on eyes keep sticking to their paper backing,then manage to pour freaking super glue all over your hands as you try to finish the fly, then EVERYTHING stick to your super glue covered hands, and STILL turning out nothing like you sat down to tie?????? Have Ya?????

Time to take a break!!!!!!
    derekp, Fishscalz, and slickrocktom like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yup....just once...
    Red X angler

Never. My flies always turn out perfectly with no aggravation at all, and my back casts never snag trees, the ground or the guy on the poling platform.
    slickrocktom likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Mad Duck, In my experience, those are the very flies that catch fish! The first fish I caught on a fly I had tied was just such a fly. I was so ugly I refused to even think about putting it in my fly box but use it for practice and, I hoped, lose it to a branch or rock. Third cast and a suicidal speckled trout latched on. That meant it had to go onto the bill of my "trophy hat" with other special flies. We invited the trout to dinner and I have never thrown away a messed up fly since.
    Fishscalz, and lewisfishing like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish115 View Post
    Mad Duck, In my experience, those are the very flies that catch fish! The first fish I caught on a fly I had tied was just such a fly. I was so ugly I refused to even think about putting it in my fly box but use it for practice and, I hoped, lose it to a branch or rock. Third cast and a suicidal speckled trout latched on. That meant it had to go onto the bill of my "trophy hat" with other special flies. We invited the trout to dinner and I have never thrown away a messed up fly since.

Oh, I didnt throw it away. Its in the box ready to be used,but, My frustration level (and blood pressure) were a little on the high side the other night. I was ready to throw if into the trash,but, the superglue on my hands prevented me from doing so.
    Fishscalz, and slickrocktom like this.

How many times have you reached that critical point of just being able to salvage a fly when SNAP! you break the thread?

Of course the thread won't unwind, so you have to decide: Razor blade and start all over again, or just pile on more thread & superglue and hope for the best???

Superglue and more thread,of course

I have a big dressing on my pinky finger from an injury last week. It is making fly tying most difficult. I have an unfinished fly in the vice from last night. Three thread breaks and I had to walk away. Every time I had it almost finished,this dressing snagged and broke the thread..&%^&^^#^%&%*

11. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements