Drifting - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drifting

I have used both. Never had a problem getting out of either. I think the ramp in Belhaven is shorter than Rose Bay. Rose bay was redone just a few years ago and is very nice.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Well, we took our time this morning getting on the water. Had to go pick her saltwater license up and of course had to enjoy the breakfast at the bed and breakfast we're staying at this weekend. Decided to go try out the ramp at Wrights Creek and we were pleasantly surprised. We did have a fellow kind of scare us a little as we were prepping the boat to splash and when we told him we were about to put in, he gave us the might not be a good idea look. Well, we weren't about to let that stop us, so off we go towards Rose Bay. She was a little bumpy on the way, but nothing terrible. Took us awhile to make it there as I had to slow down and get my bearings every so often being the first time. We finally made it to the mouth of the bay and picked a marsh island to set up a drift on. It was slow going to begin with, and then bam, landed a good size trout. Set up the drift again and had to work the area pretty hard before we picked up another. We moved around this island and ended up picking up about 6 trout, all left to live another day. All in all, we were both stoked about our first trip down here, first ever trout in the boat, and needless to say, we are both hooked. Can't want to do it again, and hopefully we can work on the flounder and maybe even a redfish or 2!
    Feetup1, and satguy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rflood86 View Post
    Hi guys. I've got a couple of questions that I wanted to put out to you more knowledgeable fellas and ladies. I'm thinking about a trip down to Swan Quarter or Belhaven or even Swansboro this weekend to do some inshore fishing. I'll be fishing out of a Key Largo 2100 center console and wanted some advice on how to set up a drift and cover a bank as I don't have a trolling motor on the boat. I know a good trolling motor is an invaluable tool, but it's just not in the cards right now. I just want to get some pointers on how to set up a good drift and the best tactics for working a bank. I don't think I'll be able to make it back up in creeks unless it's a pretty large one. My boat does have a fairly shallow draft considering her size, but I don't want to end up in trouble. Any tips I can get would be greatly appreciated!
    I did a very quick trip there last week in my SeaPro 196 Center Console. I also have no trolling motor (yet!).

Local advice was to fish around Judith Island with topwaters or Gulp shrimp under popping corks.

I will also be trying to learn that area over the next few months...PM me if interested in comparing notes!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I tried to send you a PM FishEagle but I think you have to have a little higher post count because it wouldn't allow me. Let me know when you can PM cause I'd like to share some stuff with you. Don't know how useful it would be since I'm just starting out down there and this past weekend was probably just beginners luck! But we are trying to get back out this weekend, weather and other circumstances permitting

Dont know why the PM didn't work, but please feel free to email me at [email protected]

fisheagle, you have to have more post on the forum to send a PM.

9. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12