Drifting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drifting

Default Drifting

Hi guys. I've got a couple of questions that I wanted to put out to you more knowledgeable fellas and ladies. I'm thinking about a trip down to Swan Quarter or Belhaven or even Swansboro this weekend to do some inshore fishing. I'll be fishing out of a Key Largo 2100 center console and wanted some advice on how to set up a drift and cover a bank as I don't have a trolling motor on the boat. I know a good trolling motor is an invaluable tool, but it's just not in the cards right now. I just want to get some pointers on how to set up a good drift and the best tactics for working a bank. I don't think I'll be able to make it back up in creeks unless it's a pretty large one. My boat does have a fairly shallow draft considering her size, but I don't want to end up in trouble. Any tips I can get would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I fish banks by finding a leeward bank, let the current move boat, push pole as needed. Cast ahead toward bank.

Also might follow a line of crab pots, should be ~ 4' of water or less. You can either throttle all the way down and kick it when needed, or use wind/current. Cast ahead toward pot.

My push pole is a bamboo stick ~ 10 long.
    Saltwater Republic likes this.

Unless you have the perfect wind & current conditions it is almost impossible maintain a controlled drift & fish along a bank or docks without constantly engaging the engine. One method I used wind & current permitting was anchor & let out the anchor rope a little at a time. re-anchor & repeat down the bank or docks.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Get a drift sock and attach it to the windward side of the boat if you want to drift perpendicular to the bank,or to the rear of the boat if you want to drift parallel to the shore.

If fishing swan quarter, the first blowout has a pretty deep creek that goes off to the right. Should be able to drift through there. The blowouts themselves will hold fish as well.

You may want to fish rose bay. There are a lot of nice point out there. You can find one and just anchor of the end. I usually don’t use my trolling motor when I fish out there.

Thanks for all the advice and the replies. I'm just trying to figure this thing out as I go. Now the only dilemma I have is convincing my wife to get up early enough to make it a day trip, or finding somewhere closer down there to stay and making a weekend out of it and heading over to the OBX for some beach time!

Take bug spray!!! The mosquitoes are crazy at swan quarter. You should be able to make it from rocky mount in about 2.5hrs to rose bay. Another 10 minutes or so to the ramp in swan quarter. If you go to the ramp in Swan Quarter, there is a sandbar just outside of it. You will need to go to the left when exiting to avoid it.
    Fishscalz likes this.

Yeah, I've always heard the mosquitoes were bad down that way, considering they're our state bird lol. I'm actually leaving out of Clayton as I've moved in the last year. But I believe it's still about 2.5 hours there. Its just convincing the Mrs. to be up at 4 in the morning to leave that's the issue. And I'm not as young as I once was. Those alarms come mighty, mighty early for me now 🤣

So, we're going to make a weekend of it. We're going to stay at a bed and breakfast in Belhaven. Anyone have any pointers for that area? Should we put in and run to Rose Bay and Swan Quarter or fish closer in the Pungo? Sorry for all the questions, it's just my first time in that area with my own boat. I'll be the first to admit that I'm overly cautious and a little on the nervous side going out in new places. Thanks again for all the input!

You can put over in belhaven and work your way around to abels bay if the wind is right. The shore before abels is a good place to pick up some flounder and abels has plenty of trout around.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Pungo should be holding fish. Not sure how far of a run it is from Belhaven to Swan Quarter by water but I know you have to go all the way down the Pungo and around. If the wind picks up, the Pungo can get bumpy in a heart beat. We fish Pungo and Pantego creeks. Normally fish Pungo creek for trout in the spring and fall. Pantego creek will hold flounder. Only concern for this weekend would be the amount of rain that we have had. Could have more fresh water. Trolling the breakwater in Belhaven may produce some stripers.

If need be, we can run down the road and put in at Rose Bay or Swan Quarter. We're going to be keeping the boat on the trailer at the marina. I don't trust myself to tie her up in a slip just yet. It'll probably end up being a mostly cruising trip, but I'd love to put my hands on a few fish if possible

The map shows an AR in the pungo right down from Bellhaven. Ought to be able to anchor and do some fishing there.

Have any of you used the wildlife ramp in town? We just took a look at it and it's a little worrisome as my tow rig is front wheel drive. It's decently steep, but looks like the boat would be off the trailer without backing too far down. And if anyone has used the ramp at Rose Bay, how does it look? Sorry for all the questions. I can be overly cautious at times, almost to a fault

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast