Lake Catfish on Badin

Thread: Catfish on Badin

Default Catfish on Badin

Hey,
    I'm new here and wanted to know if anyone had some fishing tips for Badin lake catfish in June.

I spend a lot of my time chasing crappie but I'm taking my dad out on Badin Friday and he was hoping to get on some cats. I understand sometimes June can be a tough month with the spawn out and all. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole, just a sense of direction and maybe the method I should be using. I also have a fish finder for finding structure but don't know what areas or depths to target this time of year.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

We do a ton of catfishing on badin.
    For us, during the warmer months, finding moving water is key. Depth not so much.

Find moving water (which typically holds bait) and you will find the cats.

We went this past Sat. and did pretty decent. All the rain dropped the water temp, where we were fishing was 74.6F.
    We ended up with one 20 pound flathead, three 12 pounds channels, and a ton of good 3-6 pounds channels.
    No Blues that trip, but I am getting tired of the blues anyway. We only eat the flatheads...

My go to rig is a modified drop shot with a cast jig at the bottom and a hook 16 inches above that with a live bait.

The majority of our fish are coming from the jigs, and not the live bait (shad, perch, etc.)

~Michael

Moving water is good. Also finding structure on or near ledges is good. Some wood on the edge of an old Creek/river channel for instance.
    Jon Boat Bob likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thanks Michael, I was considering somewhere between the dam and the train track.

I've lurked on this forum for a year or two and I think it was you I've heard mention this rig before. It always intrigued me. Are you using the Jig to bottom bump, are you casting it and soaking it like a Carolina rig, are you lowering it from the rod holder and letting the motion of the boat move it up and down, or are you casting it out and working it back like you're drop-shotting for bass?

I know North Carolina sportsman magazine has done numerous catfish articles about Badin, may be able to find them online.
    Take a Bass Boating!!!
    Life Jackets and Kill Switches save lives.

Where I am fishing there is far too much rock on the bottom to cast this rig. It is a vertical fishing style, bottom bumping almost. I like to keep my jig about a foot from the bottom, watching the screen for change in bottom.
    You are thinking about the right stretch of river....

We fish from 16-28 feet typically.

Keep an eye out for us whenever you are there. We are on Badin quite a bit, particularly on Sundays. We are in a Seafoam 25' Carolina Skiff DLV.

~Michael

Hey Bob I guide on badin for cats. 30yrs experience out there. Just PM me and I,ll help you out.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements