Moving to Greenville NC

Thread: Moving to Greenville NC

Default Moving to Greenville NC

Hello

After graduating from school in RDU, I moved out to the Bay Area California. Did 5 years there before I got sick of it and now the girlfriend and I are moving back to NC, this time to Greenville as she's attending ECU.

I'll be bringing with me my Ranger 375v. While I'm excited to boat the lakes near RDU that I fished as a kid, realistically I'll be spending most of my time in Greenville. What bodies of water would you guys recommend for a boater? From what I can see on maps, there's the Tar river, Tar river reservoir, and Lake Gaston (a bit farther away).

Side note, it was interesting and difficult fishing in California for the first time. I had to completely change my fishing style for the deep clear water reservoirs over there. Now that I'm moving back to the south, it'll be interesting to see how I adapt "back" to the styles here.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

You’ll be close to the Pamlico (Tar River east of the US17 bridge at Washington) - lots of good creeks on the Pamlico. Tranters Creek on the north side at the Pitt/Beaufort County line. Blounts Creek on the south side - put in at Cotton Patch Landing - get to know Jimmy Daniels there (a wealth of information). On the north side of Beaufort County there is Bath Creek and Back Creek, go a little further east and try North Creek, keep heading east to Belhaven and try the Pungo. Lots of good exploring ahead of you. You can also drop down to New Bern or Oriental and hit the Neuse River - a fantastic fishery up and down. Enjoy your move to Greenville, we just moved away from there last year after living there about 60 years. OH
    Chris52, and th365thli like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    You’ll be close to the Pamlico (Tar River east of the US17 bridge at Washington) - lots of good creeks on the Pamlico. Tranters Creek on the north side at the Pitt/Beaufort County line. Blounts Creek on the south side - put in at Cotton Patch Landing - get to know Jimmy Daniels there (a wealth of information). On the north side of Beaufort County there is Bath Creek and Back Creek, go a little further east and try North Creek, keep heading east to Belhaven and try the Pungo. Lots of good exploring ahead of you. You can also drop down to New Bern or Oriental and hit the Neuse River - a fantastic fishery up and down. Enjoy your move to Greenville, we just moved away from there last year after living there about 60 years. OH
    Thanks for all the great information! Excited try out all these places.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Add the lower Roanoke to that list. Put in at Jamesville or down near Plymouth. Plenty of good fishing down that way.
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

I am not a boater...I have learned that I can't repair them and hate to pay for others to do so.

But, even so... Going to caution you about some of the places recommended... They are brackish/salt water (hard on your motor and hull), and waves are frequently higher than the freeboard of a bass boat. Not saying I haven't seen them there....but they aren't very good for that environment.

You might want to consider trading the bass boat in on something better suited for some salt and a bit of chop.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

Don’t forget Contentnea Creek. It’s a short trip to WRC landings in Snow Hill, Grifton, and Maple Cypress on the Neuse. There are many fresh water, easily reachable, creeks from Maple Cypress to the landing at Cow Pen.
    th365thli likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by biglenr View Post
    I am not a boater...I have learned that I can't repair them and hate to pay for others to do so.

But, even so... Going to caution you about some of the places recommended... They are brackish/salt water (hard on your motor and hull), and waves are frequently higher than the freeboard of a bass boat. Not saying I haven't seen them there....but they aren't very good for that environment.

You might want to consider trading the bass boat in on something better suited for some salt and a bit of chop.
    If they're too brakish or large waves then I'll find somewhere else. Not giving up the bass boat lol. I'll drive to RDU to fish those areas if I have to. There has to be at least 1 or two places to calmly fish for bass.

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements