Ocean oregon inlet kayaking

Thread: oregon inlet kayaking

Default oregon inlet kayaking

I am looking for advice on fishing the OI area outside the bridge. I have been out, cautiously, looking for drum a few times with no luck but I am sure they are there. My main concern is dealing with the tides/current. Does anyone have experience there that would not mind sharing best conditions to be fishing it? I know that current can rip through there.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I don’t know anyone who fishes the inlet proper by kayak...very risky proposition. Personally, I have never been outside of the bridge in a yak, and at this stage of my life never will. Conditions there can change in a half a heartbeat, and plenty of power boaters get into trouble. Don’t give the Coasties a reason to practice their craft!
    Kayak Angler, Red X Angler, and a Full Time Angler (as of 2/1/18!!!)Retirement!

Exactly what chris said.

Find another option. Way, way, way too dangerous for 99+% of kayakers.

You can't paddle against the current.... too fast. You can't paddle parallel to it, you'll flip in the waves. Power boaters are going WOT and can't see you. Bad option.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I just fished the bridge this past weekend. Current was crazy and I had a trolling motor on my kayak. I wanted to test out how strong I could handle and quickly realized that it can get scary very fast.
    Paddle Faster! I hear banjos!

Agree with all of the above - I went near OI recently in my yak, with a trolling motor, and fished the marshes near Bodie Island.

From the currents and wind even where I was, going further out into the inlet itself just seemed like a very bad idea.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements