Fly Fly rod and reel - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fly rod and reel

There are a lot of advantages in "going local." Among those, you can ask the owner / staff to show you basic fly reel rigging-- from arbor knot and connection between backing and fly line, then setting up a proper saltwater leader system. Most quality fly lines have welded loops on both ends these days which is fine for saltwater and most warm FW applications. Also, you can ask them to set up the reel for RH or LH retrieve in the shop before you put the line on. I don't intend to bash Reddington as they make good products at attractive prices, but their reels (at least in my experience with them) require a little TLC. They function very well, but you need to open them up and thoroughly rinse the drag assembly after every use in SW. To be fair, that's true of most fly reels except at the top end. My best advice for getting started-- first, keep it simple, then seek out some instruction on casting from someone who actually knows what they are doing. Good luck.
    basswrangler likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

OK, Mac opened a can of worms in mentioning RH or LH retrieve. Tradition affirms a right handed person should use the right hand to hold the rod at all times and have a LH (left hand) retrieve. This may be true for fishing for small mountain trout when the main purpose of the reel is to store the line. Lefty Kreh urges saltwater anglers to reverse this tradition so that right handed anglers use a right hand retrieve. The reason is simple. In saltwater, you are going to have more big and strong fish running on you, taking you deep into your backing. There will come a time in their run that they turn around and head right at you. Since you can reel faster with your dominant hand, you have a better chance of keeping your line tight with the dominant hand doing the reeling. Oh, some will say, why then do you use your non-dominant hand with a spinning rod? Spinning reels are geared instead of having direct drive (one turn of the reel handle gives you one turn of the spool) and the spinning handles tend to be taller/longer, giving you are much larger radius in your retrieve. Consider bait casting outfit. Most, but far from all, anglers cast it with their dominant hand, switch the rod to their off-hand and reel with their dominant hand. No problem. But at least almost all reels can be switched from LH to RH retrieve. You will have to strip off all the line and backing and make an adjustment in the clutch (easy as pie in most cases). So give this some thought. Every reel I have ever bought came as a LH retrieve, in keeping with tradition, The easiest time to go to RH retrieve is the first time it is spooled with line. Also, never store the reel with the drag tightened. May not matter as much with the new synthetic materials as it does with cork drags, but I have always loosened the drag on all my reels- fly, spinning, baitcasting, and trolling.
    Are you having fun yet?

I use LH retrieve and cast RH. My LH does fine winding in lots of backing tarpon fishing. To me having to switch the rod to my other hand after a hook set is far more of an issue. If you can reel a spinning reel you will be fine with LH retrieve. Fighting the fish with my RH on the rod also feels more natural to me. To each their own, but switching retrieves is a pain with all the backing so figure it out before hand.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Jackson Coosa FD, Native Ultimate 14.5, CCA Member

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

bmac,
    I did read that about the Redington reels. The ones I've looked at are not fully sealed which just means I have to clean it after each trip. Not a problem, but can't forget to do it!
    Talking to Joe about the loop-to-loop connection, he said, "Always loop-to-loop. Always."

My current set-up is RH retrieve. I still practice cast in my backyard with my right arm. It feels weird to do it left armed, however, I am practicing both left and right armed but focusing more on the right arm as it feels more comfortable and natural. I will go LH retrieve, and almost all the reels I've seen can be flipped. So maybe down the line I may swap to a RH retrieve. And, believe it or not, my left (non-dominant) hand reels more comfortably and smoother than my right. I've been LH retrieve my whole life so it's more natural than RH.
    But those are good points, but as with everything, it comes down to user preference.

I'm planning to hit up Pogie's and maybe Joe's this Friday as I have off. Might even take the boat out for some attempts at catching fish.
    Just keep swimming...ahem... fishing... just keep fishing...
    Proud Red X Angler Member

Whitefish: No self respecting fishing website lacks multiple and sometimes endless threads on which hand to use for reeling-- fly, spin, baitcast, jigging etc. The true answer is do what feels most natural, although I must admit that I will ridicule my fishing buddies for fishing a fly reel with a LH retrieve and tell them they're as blanked up as a football bat for doing so. In my case, I grew up fly fishing with a RH retrieve and prefer fighting larger fish with my dominant hand on the reel. And though I'm pretty good at reeling with either hand, I can't for the life of me make a topwater bait work properly unless I'm reeling with my left hand and working the rod with my right. I like LH baitcasters for working spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and similar search lures because I can work an area very quickly and get that bait moving the instant it hits the water. My SW spinning reels are all LH. My SW conventional reels all RH. So go figure.

Pez: I won't argue Joe's point on loop to loop for fishing around here, but there are times and places where a slimmer profile connection is in order. No need to worry about that now, but as you start expanding your horizons a bit you'll figure those out. If you're most comfortable with LH retrieve, I'd stick with it.

Bmac,
    Just stopped by Pogies and chatted with Dallas. Good dude. We chatted for a bit about fly fishing before we (the family) grabbed dinner. I told him I was referred to him by somebody on NCAngler. He was confused so he looked up the website. I showed him your profile pic and he couldn’t place you. But he did say, “thanks for the shout out!”

I’ve tried flipping a reel on my spinning rod and it felt super weird to do anything with my left arm.

The more I’m looking and researching rods and reels, the more I’m starting to like the Colton brand. Lots of good reviews out there. And their lifetime warranty is a super bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Pez2385 View Post

The more I’m looking and researching rods and reels, the more I’m starting to like the Colton brand. Lots of good reviews out there. And their lifetime warranty is a super bonus.
    I should be down to Oriental on Sunday (in NJ now) and will be there all next week, if you want to try out the Colton and BVK side by side, might even get you out on the water and maybe even catch a fish.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO, Carolina Blue
    Jackson Coosa FD, Native Ultimate 14.5, CCA Member

Lots of good info here. I concur I think with all comments on the BVK. Great rods etc. Loved it for quick casts to tailing redfish. Mangrove will be a more durable rod and a lot of folks have liked them. Pro Series II are great sellers but I tend to think the others models in 8 weights and up are better performers. The TFO Clouser rod has become one of my favorites in 8 and 10 wts....

In skimming this thread, what I didn't see (but could have missed) was the importance of learning and developing the basics of good casting from a good coach or instructor. If you have good fundamentals in casting and hauling etc....all the rods mentioned will perform really well....but if you play with a few you will find a preference. An expensive rod wont make you a better caster, but learning the correct fundamentals and practice will.
    Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

Dear Chiefly Fly’n Richard
    It was mentioned early on, but more in terms of getting help selecting an outfit. It is good you brought it up in terms of learning how to cast well. It is hard to overemphasize the importance of this skill. The worst thing to do is the way I did it by trying to teach myself. It took a lot of time to break the bad habits I developed and kept repeating. A good instructor, guide, shop owner, club members, or friend will be the single most important thing you can do early on to become an accomplished fly angler. That, along with lots of practice, is what it takes. Did I mention lots of practice? Can’t say it too often. Bet a beat up reel and some old or at least cheap line and go at it on the lawn or driveway. Practice with good line on the water as often as possible.

NCTribute,
    Sent you a PM.

Chief and White,
    The Mangrove and BVK are the same price, just a little different strengths so they are both worth checking out for me.

Basic casting was briefly mentioned, but Joe and Dallas both emphasized casting properly and getting the basics down before going crazy. I'm also a logical person and understand as with everything, you gotta learn to do the basics before you can move on to the complicated stuff. Like taking calculus without knowing algebra, it's going to be difficult. I've been in my backyard (I spray painted out a 90 foot long section to practice) just about every night just practicing a basic cast with about 30-40 feet of line and a "fly" (small piece of 550 cord) on the end. I'm not trying anything crazy, just basic arm movements and getting the muscle memory down. I'm obviously using my old rod and reel with line for this.
    I understand that getting a modern rod, reel, and line will not do me any favors if I don't know how to cast properly.

Thank for the tips guys! They are appreciated! And I'm sure there are some guys out there reading this thread picking up some ideas and getting questions answered as well.

On the casting, as Wilke might say to Chiefly Fly'n‘s comment... “right on, right on, right on...
    It’s all well and good to think you’ll progress quickly and correctly in fly casting by reading books and watching video’s but neither of those can give you feedback and corrections on your cast and point out simple little things you can do with your particular casts to make the learning curve less steep. Get a good instructor and shave a lot of wasted time learning and relearning casting techniques.
    Not to say books and vids are no good, that in itself would be wrong. To use them in ‘continuing education’ is a good thing, just use them in conjunction with the occasional lesson and your fly casting progress should just take off in the right direction.
    Signed; a guy who wasted a summer teaching himself to roll cast not knowing the importance water provides in helping load the rod. Duh! 😰

14. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123