Fly Fly rod and reel
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly rod and reel

Default Fly rod and reel

I currently just got back to fly fishing on a trip to Western MD and had a blast with it. I currently have a 8' 6" Berkley Cherrywood 7-8 wt. It was a hand-me-down from someone when I was much younger, like 20 years ago. I remember the guy saying he had broken the tip and had repaired it. It still works fine, I don't have any issues with it but I'm looking at getting a new rod and reel.

From my research I've found that 7-8 weight is a decent middle of the road rod weight. What I'm having problems with is determining a good length. I'm looking for a rod I can do inshore (drum and trout) AND bass fishing. Does anyone have any recommendations on rods and reels?

I'll be fishing from shore, bass boat, and wading.

Thanks in advance!
    Just keep swimming...ahem... fishing... just keep fishing...
    Proud Red X Angler Member

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

All depends on what you want to spend. I have a Scott Meridian ($865), TFO BVK ($280) and a Colton Tradewinds XS ($225) in 8 wt. The Meridian is definitely a much nicer rod, but the other two also get the job done. The Colton is my boat rod, meaning it stays in the boat and gets banged around. The Scott is my travel rod and the BVK is my back up.

The Orvis Clearwater seems like a decent rod with a good warranty. Check out the Colton website, it is good stuff for a fair price. Also check out Yellowstone Angler 8 wt shoot out.

When choosing reels you really need to decide if it is a line holder or you need a good drag system. A good drag system is not inexpensive. I have a bunch of Nautilus reels and really like them, also have a bunch of Lamson Velocity reels (discontinued). The Lamson reels are nice and reasonably priced, the Nautilus reels are works of art. Galvan Rush Light is a good bang for the buck, have one for my 6 wt (Douglas DXF) and am really impressed with it.

If you want to cast some rods, I also have a 7 wt Echo and a Sage Xi2 9wt. Will give you feel for a very fast rod to a medium action rod.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;
    Jackson Coosa FD; Native Ultimate 14.5; CCA Member

Looking for a good pairing (rod and reel with line) under $500.

I was actually looking at the Orvis Clearwater 9' 8wt outfit (rod and reel) (https://www.orvis.com/p/clearwater-8...r?item_index=1). I've read good reviews on this rod and it has the Clearwater IV Reel.
    I'll take a gander at Colton as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. Definitely a lot to look into, hence why I asked for recommendations from all of you pros.

If I'm up in the Raleigh area I may hit you up if I haven't bought one yet.

I was actually debating whether to build one myself, but since I don't really know what a quality fly rod feels like, I don't think it would be a great idea. I've built a few spinning rods in the past couple years and they have turned out nice for a beginner rod builder (caught some big fish on them already).

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Most of my saltwater gear is in Oriental, which is not too far from Hubert.
    2015 Pathfinder 2200 TE, Yamaha VF200 SHO; 2015 Beavertail Vengeance, Suzuki DF90;

Just a tad over an hour from me. Not too bad.
    I may shoot Bob, the owner of Colton, an e-mail and see what he suggests.
    I have some time to decide, no rush, just figuring out what I'm looking for at this point.

The Colton stuff usually goes on sale for 35% off in November, if you are not in a hurry. Edit, just noticed it is on sale now.

I did see it is on sale. Apparently their stuff has been on sale pretty often as of recent from some of the other forums I've read. I'll be keeping any eye on it. It's going to be my birthday present in September.

I have friends with the new Clearwater rods and love them. Mine is 9 years old and counting. You can pay more or pay less. This is a good rod- not as refined as a Sage Xi2 or Scott Meridian but far easier to cast unless you are an expert. You may want to rethink the reel. A Mad River review of the Clearwater reels said great things about them but noted you may not want to use them in saltwater. I have some 9-year old Clearwater reels and I know what he saying. Also, this is a stamped/pressed aluminum reel and not a machined reel. That means it could bend real quickly (even chip off some) if dropped. For just a little bit more, you could get an Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor Disc drag reel. (They also. Make a Battenkill Mid Arbor click and pawl reel- don’t get that for saltwater- you want a good drag.). The largest redfish I ever caught (over 24 pounds) was on an old Battenkill Mid Arbor. It has an excellent drag and will resist normal wear and tear. If you pocketbook can stand about another $100, go for the machined reel. Also, stretch it a bit more and get an extra spool for it. They are always changing models and the new and improved never works with the old and reliable. This way you can have several types of line ready to go. Don’t wait to get it later- later may be too late. This reel is a great bargain. I have several Lamson Guru 3.5 reels that I like, though the drag knob is hard to turn (the rest of the Lamson line of reels seem to have very workable drags. But the Guru is the lowest priced of their machined reels. And don’t skimp on fly line. There is a difference. My fly lines tend to last 5-7 years so a $70 fly line is costing me $10 per year as opposed to $5 per year for cheap stuff. The line will cast better, last longer, and perform better.
    A 9’ 8-wt. will do what you want done. I even fish for bluegills with an 8-wt. because big bass live where bluegills live and a good 8-wt. will work in saltwater and fresh water. For the future, know that the 7-wt. is a really fun rod. I have several and use them a lot for bream, bass, speckled trout, red drum, and flounders.
    Or go ahead and get the Clearwater IV, too, and use it on your 7-wt. Berkeley for fishing, practice, or as a back-up reel. One can never have too many rods or reels.

Whitefish,
    Thanks for the reply and the info on the Clearwater reels. That'll definitely change my approach on that. I currently have a Pleuger Medalist 1594RC on the Berkeley and it does pretty well, easy to use, and well-oiled. I'd probably keep that as a back-up for freshwater though. I don't know much about the reel other than what I was able to find on it via Google. I used those on some panfish a couple weeks back and had a good time with them.

If I can swing it, would you go with the Orvis Hydro or still the Battenkill Disc Reel?

NCTribute,
    I'll definitely look into the Colton and the other brands down the road as I get further and deeper into fly fishing. I don't know if I'd be able to swing one of their rods AND a good saltwater reel at this time.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I have a Hydros IV (8- /9- wt) and love it. It will be a bit heavier and despite what they claim, holds a bit more backing. But then the Mid-Arbor claims 200 yards of 20 lb with 8-wt line but I don’t think it will hold that much Dacron. I don’t have one of the new Mid Arbors but have a batch of the Battenkill and Access versions- never had a problem.
    Tight lines

I'll chat with the wife about it and see if I can swing the cost of the Hydros IV; it's about $50 more with the backing and line. Was going to go with the all-around saltwater fly line and Dacron. Figure I can't go wrong with that and it'll already be spooled so I don't have to deal with that.

Orvis use to make a redfish taper that was superb. But, for some strange and unexplained reason, they dropped it. The all around saltwater should work or go to Rio or SA for their redfish taper. It has a lot of the weight up front so you can make short casts (and long ones, too- I can hit 90’ consistently). Lefty Kreh always said to strive for 100’ so your form will be good enough to be able to hit 30’ in a strong wind. His pal, Flip Pallot, says you should never have to cast more than 40’. But I have caught a whole batch of reds because I could cast 50’-90’.
    Down the iine, consider getting a 9’ 9-wt. They are great for casting in wind and I find myself using my 9-wt rods almost as much as my 8s. And a a nice 7-wt. isn’t too shabby. Our club is heading to Galax, VA, to fish the New River for smallmouth and I am making sure I have a couple of 7s with me. Since I live with saltwater on three sides, I fish the brine more than fresh water and find it easier to cast the heavier lines. Our club members who have a lot of trout stream experience are at home with 3- through 6- and find the heavier rods harder to cast. It just takes practice. Lots of practice.
    Also, get in a fly fishing club or hire a guide who is a good teacher. The last thing you want to do is do what I did- teach yourself to cast. I wound up taking a lot longer to learn because I kept reinforcing bad habits. If you have an Orvis store close at hand, they have classes (but their bias is still toward fresh water).
    I don’t get up to your neck of the woods very often but Joe Schute on Atlantic Beach might be able to help you with instruction. It’s not hard when you quite trying to make it hard. In fact, the hardest thing about fly fishing for me is remembering how easy it is.
    Tight lines and have fun with a marvelous addiction.

Fly lines are tricky, this past spring I cast my rods with all the different lines I had and found that some lines I initially had kind of written off worked great with a different rod. Unfortunately it is not easy to have a bunch of different lines to try and find the one that works best with your rod and casting style. I have gravitated toward Scientific Anglers (4-9 wt and owned by Orvis) and Airflo (10-12 wt) lines, getting away from RIO lines.

I suspect the Clearwater 8 wt would perform well with a bonefish taper line and might be easily over powered by a redfish taper. There is a trend toward heavier lines, but I personally think that they hamper your true learning curve. Better to use them after you are good at casting a more traditional taper.

I was looking at this line: https://www.orvis.com/p/hydros-saltw...l-rounder/2ash Figured it'd be a good starting line to go with but I'll take a peek at the SA, Airflo, and RIO lines.

My next question would have been, is there a fly shop or instructor around the Jacksonville, Morehead, Wilmington area? I just sent Bob Schute an e-mail about instruction. There is another place, "Pogie's" in Swansboro that I'll probably be wandering over to in the next week or so.

I'm glad I asked for advice here before diving in as I'd be getting into this completely blind. Thank you guys again for everything!

Ah yes, ask two fly anglers and you get 6 opinions. NC Tribute is fright about fly lines bring tricky. In addition to everything else, manufacturers are overloading ( or under/ labeling) which means that the line is labeled 8-wt though it has the weight of an 8.5 or even 9 wt line. So people will find it casting a little longer. So it is hard to know what to get.
    Listen to an expert about this. Personal stock to the rated line weight. So see if the store owner has a variety of weights on the rod you want to buy.

18. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast