Buckhorn Reservoir Kayak Fishing

Thread: Buckhorn Reservoir Kayak Fishing

Default Buckhorn Reservoir Kayak Fishing

Hello all,

I have been to Buckhorn Reservoir about a dozen times on my Kayak and had very limited success. I was putting in at the horse trail parking area on Sullivan Road. I have been looking at google maps and found a good spot to put in at Wade Thompson road to get me on the upper end. Does anyone have any suggestions on good spots/techniques for a kayak fisherman? I'm not a supper strong paddler (don't get out enough) so I can't make it that far from where I put in. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Turkey Creek can be pretty good. Find them in a few deep pockets there 5-9 feet. Not pressured since most of it is 8-24 inches deep. Put in near bridge can be a pain due to narrow path down hill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by drvslow View Post
    Turkey Creek can be pretty good. Find them in a few deep pockets there 5-9 feet. Not pressured since most of it is 8-24 inches deep. Put in near bridge can be a pain due to narrow path down hill.

Thank you for the response. What are you using when your up there? I went out over the weekend and caught about 15 of these little dinkers with a Ripping Rap around the old road bed on the main lake. Also is the creek moving fast enough to need an anchor?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	20190707_090730_HDR.jpg‎
Views:	56
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	195055

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by drvslow View Post

I found this in the spring. Haven't caught many bass, but the one's I did were +4lbs. Only bout 10-15min of paddling to get the the "open creek". Mostly I just beat the banks with plastics. Did some casting in open water with no luck

Default Buckhorn Reservoir Kayak Fishing

In early AM used a white or bone whopper plopper or Academy sports equivalent. Wacky rig worm Yum green pumpkin with chartreuse tip weightless thrown to branches. Carolina rig with lizard usually chartreuse or green depending on how muddy.

YUM Dinger weightless all day. Adjust speed according to depth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only been bank fishing at Buckhorn. Now that I've gotten into kayak fishing, I need to go back I guess and try these tips... Thanks!

I was at Buckhorn early Sunday morning and the hollow body frog was working. Got this guy who weighed in at 5.8# and another at just under 4#. I think I hooked this guy again on my way back. Stopped at the same area threw the frog again and fish on... got it close and he spit it... if it was wasn't the same fish it was very close to the same size from almost the same spot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version.

Name:	BHF1.jpg‎
Views:	15
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	195403 Click image for larger version.

Name:	BHF1 (2).jpg‎
Views:	111
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	195405

nice fish!!

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements