NC Angler Forums banner

Sea ghost 110 vs 130

13K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  stevec8787 
#1 ·
Looking for some opinions on the difference between the 2...upgrading from a perception striker 11.5 angler mainly for the seat and overall nicer look...130 just seems a bit long...I get away with no bed extender on my truck with the 11.5 just would like to know if it’s a must to go 130 plus buy an extender or if the 110 is suffice....all my paddling has been/ will be done in saltwater icw marshes etc I’m a big boy 6’0 275 but they both are rated well above that...the room on the striker never bothered me so I figured another 11 footer would be fine...unless there is some benefit to the 130?

#2 ·
I also have a Striker (West Marine Cayman) and a big guy as well looking to upgrade to a rig with a better seat. I try to follow the 2/3s rule. With the Sea Ghost 110 you lose 75 pounds of maximum capacity compared to your Striker's 500 pounds and gain 50 pounds with the SG130 but 18” longer.
The Old Town Topwater120 hauls the same maximun load as your Striker will and is only 6” longer. However I doubt the Old Town will cut through the water as good as the SG130. I like the idea of having higher load carrying capacity in case I someday want to bring more stuff than usual.
Let us klnow what you decide and how you like it.

#4 ·
So I went from the Striker 11.5 to the SG 130. I can tell you that it was the best choice I could have made. It cuts through the water so much better than the striker and the rudder and seat make it the best at this price point. The only thing that has people worried about is that the plastic is a little flimsy compared to the more expensive kayaks. I have a Tacoma with a 5ft bed and I used to put my kayak on there with no issues. I wouldn't suggest leaving it on for much time though because with the plastic not being as strong it will slowly start to bend and I wouldn't want to mess it up. I recently got a bed extender and am much happier. Hit me up if you have any questions or want to try it out.

#6 ·
Had a perception pescador 12'. Went with a vibe sg110. The 130 is huge and heavy. If you fish a lot in the ocean id get it. I fish mainly rivers and lakes and the 110 is great. Still not the lightest boat. I have to put mine on a room rack though. Bed of a truck would be pretty easy. It has plenty of room and is very stable, tracks well.

#7 ·
Have sold both and the 110 is definitely the best seller of the two. Reading lots of comment on the Vibe owners Facebook page, it appears as if the 110 will certainly handle your weight with no problem and it is a lot easier handle, load and probably maneuver in tight spots. It seems the guys and gals over 300 seem to prefer the 130....especially if using in big open water or offshore. If you went with the 130...I'd really consider the bed extender.

#8 ·
Thanks guys...interesting....yeah I was originally leaning the 110 just because the 11.5 striker has been great size wise, it’s really just the lack of seat and seat options...I honestly doubt with all my gear id even eclipse 300 by much....I fish salt marshes and the cape fear river occasionally but I don’t think I have the fortitude for surf/open ocean lol

#12 ·
I have a 110 and it is about as big as I care to deal with. No complaints, it's just that the 130 is a little much for my needs.
If you plan to go BTB, I would go with the 130. If not then I think its personal preference as well as how physically fit you are to man-handle the 130. By man-handle I mean out of the water not in the water.

#13 ·
some reviews the vibe is very soft/flimsy...
I have not experienced this. Have owned and sold Necky, Perception, Crescent, Wilderness Systems etc. They all seem pretty similar. Had a Sea Ghost 110 at the coast all week in the heat of the summer...did not seem at all to be "soft." Check out some of the reviews on paddling.com and on the Vibe owners Facebook page for more feedback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.