Yadkin river fishing

Thread: Yadkin river fishing

Default Yadkin river fishing

Hey y’all.

I’m thinking about hitting the Yadkin tomorrow morning. I live in Winston any typically fish the lakes around that area so I have limited river fishing experience. A few questions: would it be “safe” to take my narrow body Jon boat with a 15hp Yamaha out there? Also has anyone launched at the access in Elkin? ( I think it’s called crater park access) I saw on google maps what looked like a boat ramp. I would really love to get after some smallmouth so any tips for targeting them on the river would also be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Not a lot of water around Elkin to use a narrow Jon with a 15 hp outboard in the Yadkin, without experience in area, and prop guard.
    You'd likely be better off renting a canoe or kayak, until you learn the river.

There is a great boat ramp at Elkin. You might could make your way down stream to near I-77 before turning back. That being said, the flat woody areas tend to hold more Kentucky spots.

The last 12 months have been exceedingly wet causing flows to be much too high for fishing. Pop up torrential rains have turned the river orange. Conditions will not be idea for fishing until the thunderstorm season is over.
    Fishscalz likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Thank you guys for that input. Checked the weather last night and and saw that a big system had come through so I decided to head to local waters this morning instead.

mrpossumtail is definitely the expert on Yadkin flows. Personally, I think the Yadkin lends itself more to floating from point A to point B. If you're really jonesing for smallies, there is decent water above Foster Falls and at Byllesby Pool in Va..
    Red X Angler

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements