Wife friendly on the coast

Thread: Wife friendly on the coast

Default Wife friendly on the coast

Any locations where the wife and I could kayak too and let her hang out on a sand bar or beach and I could continue fishing? We usually go to oak island and do the sand bars on the south end of the island. Looking for somewhere new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

icw Behind Wrightsville has some nice islands that you can hang out on and bars all over the creeks...same with masonboro...cape fear river I go to river rd park and paddle to the islands and there’s shark teeth all over them

Like to add that there’s Definitely fish to be had out there off river rd park this is from today actually
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7DDED84D-C7EC-4394-A77B-9ACBEC9401D3_1562521083168.jpg‎ 
Views:	94 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	195039  

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hammocks Beach State Park (24 West of Swansboro) has a kayak launch and you can paddle around the islands and sandbars down there. Puts you right into the ICW.
    Just keep swimming...ahem... fishing... just keep fishing...
    Proud Red X Angler Member

Fantastic stuff guys. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pez2385 View Post
    Hammocks Beach State Park (24 West of Swansboro) has a kayak launch and you can paddle around the islands and sandbars down there. Puts you right into the ICW.
    Hammocks looks great. Is it possible to paddle to the beach? At least to the back of the island to be able to access the ocean?

I'm sure you can. I believe people paddle over to Bear Island across the way.
    If I'm not mistaken, they also have a ferry that runs out to Bear Island if no one wanted to paddle.

I'm not a kayaker, but wanted to at least give you that option.
    Here's the link for Hammocks Beach State Park:
    https://www.ncparks.gov/hammocks-beach-state-park
    kdig67 likes this.

Just keep swimming...ahem... fishing... just keep fishing...
    Proud Red X Angler Member

Cedar Island could also be an option. There is a nice north facing beach there with beautiful water and plenty of water to splash a yak in.
    "What we do in life, echoes in eternity." - Gladiator

Yes, you can paddle to Bear Island. I did it just a few years ago with my boss. There is a slough on the back edge that you can go up that lands you right at the dunes.
    AKA: Soilman

Before heading to use the Hammocks Beach State Park call and see if its repaired yet. I know the ferry is not operating yet because they have not gotten the Hurricane Florence repairs done to the dock yet. I'd suspect the kayak launch there may also be not in operation.

It's a wonderful paddle over to Bear Island though. You could also launch at Shell Rock Landing and paddle to the South side of the island that way although I'd recommend using the tides to your advantage and study Google Maps a little before going.

Tides are your friends going to Hammocks... A 5-7 mile paddle with the tide is fun. A 5-7 mile against tide and wind.... Not so much.
    After all is said and done.... A heck of a lot more will be said than done
    Red X Angler
    "Sublime" - 2013 NuCanoe Frontier in lime green

We made the safe choice and did oak island again. Seems like the tides are more favorable to my schedule next week for hammocks. I may try a solo trip first. I think the key with taking your wife is not having too high of expectations of actually getting some quality fishing in! Thanks for all the information.

Will definitely check out Hammocks Beach State Park once it's fully up and running again. BTW, here's a link for those interested in following progress re: Florence recovery efforts: https://www.ncparks.gov/hammocks-bea...-beach-updates

I decided to make another run to the coast to try to get some flounder before everything shuts down and my wife wanted to tag along. It quickly turned into my daughter and my sister in law along for the ride as well! So I decided to try ft fisher where I could drop them off at the beach right before the launch. The access area at the museum has a nice set of bathrooms and rinse station. It’s amazing how something simple can turn into a major production in a matter of moments. I’d normally wake up at 4:30 and leave by 5. Nope. Leave at 6:15. I usually grab a pop tart out the door...instead it’s “can we stop at bojangles? “ I ended up launching around 10:15.

It was a wonderful day for fishing...overcast...and a decent day for them on the beach. It was nice to have them gabbing on the way home to help the drive go quicker.

On a side note I caught my personal best flounder! White gulp ripple mullet with a chartreuse tail. Tad over 18 inches. It was near high tide and I casted towards the grass and when I started my retrieve I thought I was hung up immediately. I actually started to reel my self closer to the snag so I could get unhooked and the second pump of the rod I felt the “snag” coming towards me. It wasn’t until the flounder saw my kayak that he started to fight. Up to that point I still thought I was snagged on something. Wow was I surprised!

The tides seem perfect for hammocks beach next week. High tide in the 8-9am time when I would launch and come back after low tide. I think I will try that one with my son though!

17. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements