Electronics upgrade sanity check

Thread: Electronics upgrade sanity check

Default Electronics upgrade sanity check

I have decided to upgrade my ancient Garmin 2008 GPS/FF. I have become addicted to nearshore fishing this year and feel i need something with a little more information and fidelity.

I have looked at some units on the shelf and really like the Simrad Cruise 7/9. I like the manual control versus touch screen but am not completely sold yet. Budget is 1000.00 but anything less will keep the comptroller happy! I am not against any manufacturer as long as I have all the features (which I know they all have). Reviews suggest this model is aimed more towards rec boating rather than fishing..............

So any one out there have the Simrad Cruise, and if so how do you like it?? I know this question has been raised many times in the past, but this is a new unit so cannot find much yet.

Thanks for taking time to respond - tight lines!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Marine electronics aren't my forte. (I was a helo driver, & IFR meant "I follow roads.") A couple of very nice features, if they aren't already on your "must have" list: Side scan-- really helpful on the Neuse for spotting stump fields at a distance so you can lay off without spooking the fish, or find them manually with your prop. Navionics or similar feature to help zero in on contours. Those big copper colored fish that come up into the Neuse in the later summer like to follow those contours, and that feature can really help in narrowing down likely locations. Finally, guys who know a lot more about marine electronics than me have told me that the transducer is a lot more important than the box. Good luck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Marine electronics aren't my forte. (I was a helo driver, & IFR meant "I follow roads.") A couple of very nice features, if they aren't already on your "must have" list: Side scan-- really helpful on the Neuse for spotting stump fields at a distance so you can lay off without spooking the fish, or find them manually with your prop. Navionics or similar feature to help zero in on contours. Those big copper colored fish that come up into the Neuse in the later summer like to follow those contours, and that feature can really help in narrowing down likely locations. Finally, guys who know a lot more about marine electronics than me have told me that the transducer is a lot more important than the box. Good luck.
    Cool thing to know. I flew help for a bit til my heart needed surgery. Love the hover! Sorry...back to the thread...hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Red X Angler // Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that is not fish they are after - Thoreau

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I only mentioned that because I believe Brit Guy was an RAF pilot. They fly on the wrong side of the road over there and put bullseyes on their planes. Very strange.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    I only mentioned that because I believe Brit Guy was an RAF pilot. They fly on the wrong side of the road over there and put bullseyes on their planes. Very strange.
    Ha Ha bmac!! We Brits are supposed to be the ones who do sarcasm......... Not a pilot, but engineer, however, you may well be correct on the flying on the wrong side of the road and yes we do put bullseyes on our airplanes. Thank you sir, for your service.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements