Yadkin River Upstream Paddle

Thread: Yadkin River Upstream Paddle

Default Yadkin River Upstream Paddle

The two sections I am most interested in are located in Wilkes County, directly upstream from W Kerr Scott Reservoir.

The two access points are Marleys Ford and Ferguson Access. Anyone been on these sections of the river and know how feasible going upstream and floating back to the original launch point would be under typical flow conditions? Or has anyone had success going upstream on other sections?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Current is relativity slow around Marleys Ford, (it's impounded around the canoe/kayak access) and is silted in pretty badly over all, near the access.

The West Yadkin Trail head is flowing river, canoe/kayak access. You can paddle upstream and float back down a decent distance, depends on water conditions.

It is maybe 1 mile upstream from marleys ford before the river current gets strong enough to make upstream progress difficult. Approximately 2 miles downstream from marleys ford the river encounters the backed up water of the lake. It takes around 45 minutes to paddle from the lake to marleys ford, depending on the kayak. I don't know any more about the river further upstream.
    Fishscalz likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Further up it is the normal run, riffle, hole, repeated over and over.
    There are several twists and turns, the outside bends will have deeper water as usual, and the fish will bite better early and late in the day for the most part.

Side note: My brother lives in Furguson.

I have floated it once. Agree with Fishscalz assessment but would add that paddling upstream appreciable distance would be difficult. It's not like some river sections where you can paddle relatively flat water until you get to a rapid and then drag the yak over and continue. Almost no actual rapids, but almost always pretty good current against you. Not many places at all to park on a rock or sit in an eddy.

8. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements