Fly fishing Linville, NC area

Thread: Fly fishing Linville, NC area

Default Fly fishing Linville, NC area

I promised my 14 YO grandson I'd take him trout fishing this summer and a friend will be letting me use their house in Linville Land Harbor in 2 weeks for the weekend. He enjoys fly fishing and did have some luck in Bryson City with fly but that was the second week of June. Any suggestions on where to fish and the type and pattern of fly for Linville area?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Hmmm....assume you can fish the private section that runs through Land Harbor???

Folks are having success on standard nymph patterns, girdle bugs and some dry fly actions.... and you might also try some of the standard yarn egg patterns in there.
    Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

Richard, thank you for the information. Yes we will be fishing the private section which is fly only and have yet to determine if we will try the lake which is supposed to hold trout in addition to bass and other fish. I've never been here before so don't know what to expect. I live outside Raleigh an haven't done much trout fishing other than a few opening days with grandson over past 13 years. I use to do 2 trips a year with my son, guy in picture with me, spring and fall, Hazel Creek, Davidson, Cherokee and many more. 5 days after picture was taken Army showed up on my doorstep to say he died result of accident getting ready for his 2nd deployment to Iraq.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I am sorry to hear about your son....but sounds like lots of good memories of time shared on trout stream. Glad you are sharing stream time with your grandson.

My recollection of the lake is that it is pretty shallow....so may be too warm for trout now. I would expect the stream to fish pretty well. There are several guides and shops in the area....a couple right in the Linville area that might be able to provide some better suggestions....but I suspect a variety of stuff would work in that area.

As possible option, several of the guides run float trips in E. Tenn on the Nolichucky, Watauga and S. Holston...all of which should fish good through the summer.
    Richard
    CarolinaMountainSports.com
    Statesville, NC 704 871-1444

Do they allow free camping along the linville river. In the park area.

Bring a box of smallmouth patterns.
    Red X angler

Thanks for suggestion

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements