Night time trout questions

Thread: Night time trout questions

Default Night time trout questions

Want to try some night time trout fishing this summer and I have a couple questions. When fishing at night is it mainly a topwater bite? Do y'all throw any sub surface baits? I'm assuming the fish are typically more shallow at night. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Any other tips you have would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Captains Club
    Kayak Angler
    Blog Entries

Top water and 17mrs are both deadly. A lot of old wisdom talks about black and or purple but.... I debunk that myth and catch the vast majority of my nighttime fish on white.

Quote Originally Posted by trigger22 View Post
    Top water and 17mrs are both deadly. A lot of old wisdom talks about black and or purple but.... I debunk that myth and catch the vast majority of my nighttime fish on white.
    I wonder if the majority of your night fishing is done with white,,,,,,, my understanding is that color at night is fairly irrelevant but rather the key is a good silhouette from below, and so a black or dark color would make more sense, but I don't know for sure.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Topwater out produces other lures at night for me. Color does not matter in my experience. The silhouette theory makes sense until you apply hours of time on the water and see no difference. Topwaters are big and loud so they're not hard for a trout to pick out.
    Crouse, and Saltwater Republic like this.

Are they typically more shallow than you find them during the day or do y'all fish the same spots the same way at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Mumbo_Pungo View Post
    Are they typically more shallow than you find them during the day or do y'all fish the same spots the same way at night?
    Used to night fish off the rt. 50 bridge in Ocean City, MD. Under the lights the weakies were visible cruising around just below the surface. Used "touts" slowly fished in a circle just below surface to catch them.

I used to try to catch trout under the lights on fleming's pier (1960's) and others and though there were hundreds of trout, I couldn't get them to hit a thing. Just me, I guess. Or, could it be the lights?

10. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements