Inshore A question of etiquette for parking a boat

Thread: A question of etiquette for parking a boat

Default A question of etiquette for parking a boat

A few weeks ago, myself and 2 of my buddies were shore fishing the Banks Channel public access points on Topsail Beach.(thanks to the awesome stickied thread) We would run and gun the different spots as they are kinda of small for 3 people to fish. At one of the spots a guy pulls up on jon boat. He waves for us to move out of the way. We moved out of the way, he then lets his wife and daughter off the boat and they walk up the street to a house, OK no problem.

At this point I assumed he was just letting them off, so he could go trailer the boat. I was incorrect, he proceeded to set out an anchors off the bow and stern effectively taking up the entire spot. He then grabbed his personal belongings and gets out of the boat, walks by us and says "hey fellas" and then goes to the same house as the wife and daughter. Honestly I was a little dumb struck.

Not being super experienced with etiquette as far as parking a boat at a public area, I didn't say anything. My question is, was this action something that is normal? or was this guy just being an a**?

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Clueless behavior, but it doesn't sound too flagrant to me. The guy was obviously staying at the house, most likely a weekly rental. I don't know why he couldn't have picked a different spot to anchor, and most likely he's not a fisherman and didn't know any better. I'd just chalk it up to more people on the water. There's been a noticeable increase in boat traffic on the ICW this year. Best advice I can think of is not to choose fishing spots in high traffic areas and try to be patient. If you believe in the 10 percent rule, you'll encounter at least one jack leg on the water every day, probably more.

Id say the same as bmac. Ive fished a hole many times to have someone come up and drop anchor in the middle of it or start to. My fishing partner is very vocal and will give a tongue lashing.

But Id say they really didnt know any better. Once told they move (or rather asked polity) . Most fisherman unless total tools will show respect where respect is due. Might be a case of unknown fishing hole etc. but are happy to listen. At least I am. I know there are a lot of guys that spend way way more time on the water and have tons more knowledge then I do.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I have fished saltwater from a boat only for the past 2 years. I have fished freshwater most of my life. It may be just that I have met the wrong folks early in my saltwater experience but it seems people are a bit more respectful of others in freshwater. It has happened so often I thought it was just accepted practice for someone to come and anchor 10 or 15 yards away. If they see a fish caught even closer.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements