Lake james

Thread: Lake james

Default Lake james

Been kayak camping at the boat in only site. Great place to camp and only a mile from put in. Top water Heddon torpedo, whopper plopper in the morning, hour before and after sunrise is always great in all those coves. Watermelon plastic worm after 8:30 AM works real good. The top water action dies at this time.
    Evening always good with suspending Rapalas but the magic hour before sun set and as late as you want to fish top water action picks up but not as good as morning. You definitely want to night fish when you have some moon light. Can't see anything with no moon. Full moon is something you have to experience out there. Like fishing in the day light at mid night. Its pretty cool.
    Warning. stay away from there on weekends. Lucky I can camp on week days. Week days I have the whole place to myself or maybe one other person, mostly other kayak fishermen like myself so thats a good thing. Weekends nothing but house boats and ski boats zooming in and out. Turns the whole place into a mud hole. Most inconsiderate people I ever met. They wont even wait until they are away from the camp sites where they can clearly see canoes and kayaks tied up. They just gun it.
    Why they dont make that whole area off limits to gas motors is beyond me. They put areas of the national forest off limits to ATV's.
    gambusia, and noseman12 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Good report, thank you.

Awesome time. I just bought a whopper plopper myself. Night time under the moon is truly the most peaceful thing we can do. Thanks for the story

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I love fishing early morning on Lake James. Top water strikes are a load of fun, and the whopper plopper is a great lure. I usually get there about 0530 or a little before and hit the riprap beside the dock before heading out.

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements